20- parties never end well

"The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves,

the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image.

If in loving them we do not love what they are,

but only their potential likeness to ourselves,

then we do not love them:

we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them"

― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island

✵✵✵

"I just don't understand it! I don't get it! There is nothing you can do to explain it to me!"

"And I don't get what your problem is. He invited our whole dorm. It is like a peace offering. Why shouldn't I go?", Elaine asked exasperated. She stopped walking and turned around to face her boyfriend, who was glaring into the clouded sky. She had long discarded of his hand wrapped around hers, as the two had led their discussion for quite a while.

"Have you forgot what he said to you? How can you even think of forgiving him? You promised me you wouldn't just run back to being nice to him", Louis told her furiously, kicking a rock with his foot.

"What is it to you?", Elaine asked, wrapping her robe closer to her body, as the icy air cut through her clothes. "If I forgive him, that's on me. If I fight with him, that's on me as well. I can deal with it myself", she argued.

Louis came to a halt, as he took her face in his hands, careful as if she was porcelain. "I don't want you to get hurt", he soothed her, holding eye-contact. "I care about you, you are my girlfriend after all"

Planting a soft kiss on her forehead, Louis pulled Elaine into his arms. The French felt a pang in her heart as she realized how unfairly she had been treating the Slytherin.

"I'm sorry", she mumbled, cuddling into his comfort. "I know that. But I can still make my own decisions", the Gryffindor added carefully.

Louis sighed exasperatedly as he brought the girl an armlength away from him. "If you go to his party tonight, don't expect me to console you if it goes wrong again. By now, you should be aware that nothing good can come out of an interaction with the marauders. But apparently you know best, so I will just let you do whatever you want to", he snapped, closing off his face once again.

Elaine felt just as exasperated as him. "Don't worry", she bit back, crossing her arms. "I will see you tomorrow", she added, making her way back to the castle. She was sure to hear Louis make some comment, though the girl couldn't really be bothered by it.

Whatever his deal was, it was annoying her greatly.

Elaine finally reached the Great Hall, where her friends were already sitting, as agreed enjoying an early dinner in order to get changed afterwards. They had all taken a break from their studies, excited that the weekend had finally come.

She was met with the very amusing sight of Luana, Marlene and Mary obviously trying their best to not break out into laughter as Sirius was surrounded by a random girl on each side, clearly vying for the boy's attention.

As Elaine got closer, she was able to make out their conversation. At the same time, Remus spotted her, waving excitedly, also clearly having his fun.