16- halloween, the third

"I wanted all things
To seem to make some sense,
So we could all be happy, yes,
Instead of tense.
And I made up lies
So that they all fit nice,

And I made this sad world
A par-a-dise."
― Kurt Vonnegut,

✵✵✵

"I just don't get it", Elaine lamented, throwing her hands up in the air. "We just spent 5 hours getting ready for a party we attended for only one, just to go back to the dorm in order to spend another hour fixing us up so we can appeal to a new occasion. Why can't you just let me wear trousers and a shirt?", the Blonde asked her roommate accusatory.

Said girl stared back with the same determination. "Welcome to Hogwarts, Elaine", Marlene hissed, holding a very uncomfortable looking jumpsuit in her left hand. "And now get dressed like that muggle singer you told us about. We don't have time for difficulties"

While her words were serious, Marlene did look more pleading than threatening as she ushered Elaine inside the bathroom, where the girl removed her dress under sighs, just to put on a new attire.

As the marauders put their Halloween party under the motto "Muggle music", it was expected of every attendant to show up in costume. Since it was already nearing nine, Elaine didn't put too much thought in her outfit. Her hair however, needed to be styled to the inch, as she was going as a less imposing version of the French singer Dalida.

While said woman's music was by far not her favorite muggle music, it was something that reminded her of Beauxbatons, of home. There were quite a few fans of the singer at her late school, and the melodies and rhymes had made their way to a special place in Elaine's heart.

In order to resemble the striking woman the best she could, the French had to carefully fluff her hair, creating big waves that framed her face. Other than that, she exchanged her golden eyeshadow for a sharp black eyeliner and carefully put a more extravagant, deep red color on her lips. Originally, she had thought about recreating one of the more excessive looks the singer had worn at muggle concerts, but as Elaine was actually getting ready, she couldn't help herself but choose a more down-to-earth look.

That was how she ended up in a short red satin dress that had a sweetheart neckline and sat skintight until her waist, from where it fell down to just above her knees. Checking herself out in the mirror, Elaine almost thought she looked okay.

"You done in there?", Marlene banged on the bathroom door, causing Elaine to take in one last deep breath before she put on an artificial smile. "Yes", she shouted back, putting her golden hoops in at a last touch and exiting the room.

In front of the door stood an almost unrecognizable Marlene. The girl had decided to participate in a group outfit with the Prewett brothers and Alice Fortescue, the four of them recreating the popular muggle band Fleetwood Mac, with Marlene being Stevie Nicks. The girl seemed to be already deep in character, as she hummed a melody Elaine recognized to be 'Landslide' and stayed true to her usual bohemian style.

Luana however had gone full out in her portrayal of the German singer Nico, clad in all black and dying her hair slightly more blond with a spell. Elaine had offered her friend to teach her a bit of German to go with the costume, but Luana had declined politely, claiming that foreign languages were her arch enemy.

Mary had stayed true to her usual cheery and positive self, cosplaying a singer Elaine actually knew as well, Olivia Newton-John, a woman that Elaine had met once as her father took her to a muggle restaurant in New York. "You look fantastic, El", the girl praised her, flipping her hair slightly in the process.