21 Chrysanthemums

Charlie~~

For three days already, I've managed to make sure Nora walked out the door with Tye. I don't have Tye come in early anymore. Instead, I've been having Nora come in later. The whole thing has been a balancing act as the start of Tye's job relies on Nora finishing hers.

Now on the fourth day since Dad gave his order, he asked me to drive him this morning from his office to Stefan's apartment before I went in to work. I don't usually take my car to work, but since I was already in it, I decided to go on to my office. Rifting is usually far simpler than driving through the city.

Nora arrived two hours later, and Tye came in two hours after her. A few minutes ago, Nora finished her work, meaning they both can leave now.

As they're getting ready to go, Nora excuses herself to use the restroom, and Tye leaves before I can tell him to wait.

Alone for the moment, I bury my face in my hands and tug at my hair. In three days, this week will be over.

And this will all end with Nora getting hurt.

I hear the restroom door shut followed by the sound of Nora's footsteps. She appears in front of her desk and grabs her bag.

"See you tomorrow, Charlie." As she heads for the door, I hear it. A pitter patter rapidly graining strength. Nora swipes her hand over the sensor, and the door slides open. Rain beats down on the pavement outside, and a harsh wind yanks her hair as it blows inside.

It wasn't scheduled to rain today. I swivel in my chair toward my computer and a few keystrokes later reveals it will now be raining for the rest of the day.

"Damn it."

Nora stares at me, her face scrunched up. The times I've been agitated around her, I've never let her know it. I kept it hidden. Bottled up.

But all I said was two little words. I can recover from this. I can make myself seem calm again. Make her think everything is fine.

"I'm going to wait it out a little." She lifts her bag off her shoulder to set it down. She and I . . . in my office . . . alone, and Dad knows it. It's clear with the weather changing as suddenly as it did that he has eyes on us.

I have my car though. I can take her home. Drop her off without setting foot in her house.

Reaching under my desk, I picture a large black umbrella. I feel it become solid in my hands, its weight dipping on the end with the handle. "I'll take you home. I have my car."

"If you have a car why do you always take a cab?"

"I usually have my car," I lie and pass her the umbrella. "But somedays I don't feel like driving." After reaching my hand under my desk to create another umbrella, I'm ready to go.

Nora opens the door and another gust of wind blows rain inside. Dad really would prefer we stay inside. Even with the umbrellas, we're going to be soaked.

"My car's silver. It's parked on the street." I clutch my keys, ready to unlock the car the moment I'm close enough.

If she knew we were dreaming, I'd rift us to her house, and we'd get wet.

Nora opens her umbrella and makes a run for it.

I step outside, wind and rain bashing into me, but I still pause to check the alley.

Tucked into a corner of my building and hidden underneath a brown umbrella, Cobbs lifts his hand in greeting.

Gritting my teeth, I take off after Nora, now realizing that when Dad asked me to drop him off at Stefan's, he wasn't planning for the rain to be enough to isolate me and Nora in my office.