57 A Sleeping Angel

Nora~~

When I wake up, sunlight is pouring in through Charlie's windows across the wood floor. I'm tucked under a red wool blanket that I've managed to wrap myself up in while asleep.

Asleep.

I fell asleep while in Somnia, and I dreamed, a real dream. Confusing and a jumble of characters and settings. I tug the blanket up to my chin, the blanket knotted around my fist. I saw my family. I talked to them. Even if it was only in my mind, I'd give anything to experience that again.

On top of the comforter, Charlie is curled on his side, cradling the book he was reading to me last night. He's still dressed in his khakis and white shirt he wore for dinner.

Asleep he doesn't look worried or focused. He's at peace, able to slip into dreams that aren't real. And even with his hair fallen across his forehead, I can't imagine I look anywhere near as angelic in the real world right now as he looks here.

A sleeping angel. That's what I see looking at him.

I smile.

I'm not in trouble. He never has to know these thoughts. And I never have to think them again.

Charlie shifts. I should rift home.

His eyes open slowly, and he blinks as if clearing his vision. "Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep." There's a raspiness to his voice.

"It is your bed."

"You look better in it than I do."

My toes curl underneath the blanket, which shifts over my legs.

"Were you watching me sleep?"

I feel the blood drain from my face. "Well you were there when I opened my eyes. Did I fall asleep while you were reading?"

Sitting up, he rubs his face. "You were out minutes into the story." He moves his hands from his face to send me an amused look. "Then again, I fell asleep while reading." Setting the book on his nightstand, his back is to me as he asks, "Would you want to get breakfast?"

I open my mouth to say yes but instead hesitate. Pace would love to see us spending time together, and Tye knows that I was wrong about Charlie, but what if Ricky or Avery sees us? Especially after all I told Avery last night. Ricky would never trust Charlie, and I'd lose Avery's trust.

"Nora?" He twists back toward me. The way he's looking at me right now, he's . . . vulnerable.

And I want to say yes so badly, to say damn to any and all consequences.

Charlie's gaze drops to his lap. "I'm sorry I—"

"Yes."

There's a spark in his green eyes when he raises them to meet mine. "I'll meet you at your house in thirty minutes."

For those who have read Expiration Date, can you imagine Charlie at the Estate? He'd be miserable.