65 Requests

Charlie~~

As Tye walks down my driveway, I close the door, Nora at my side, and suddenly I have a hard time ignoring the tension in the room that I was so easily able to push aside when telling Tye about his parents' deaths.

"Thank you," she says. "For Tye."

I rub my shoulders. "Maybe I should have done it sooner."

She tucks an errant strand of hair behind her ear. "You . . . I don't know how I can ever fully express my gratitude for all you've done tonight."

I raise my hand but let it fall. "My reasons aren't entirely selfless. I do want out."

"What happens if we do get out? How am I supposed to go back to living in the same house as my dad after he gave me over to yours?"

Guilt gnaws at my stomach. But why should I feel guilty for protecting her from the anguish she'd feel when she finds out her real dad has been trapped as the master dreamer with no control over himself?

I know I need to tell her eventually, but can't I leave this night untainted?

Gathering up her hair in her hands, she twirls it into a bun at the back of her neck. "But what about you? Where will you go?" She lets her hair fall over her shoulder, leaving one side of her neck bare. What would it be like to kiss her there and work my way down?

"I don't know. To both of your questions. But if we get out, I'm sure we'll be able to solve those problems."

"About earlier . . ."

"With my sister?"

She gives me a look that pierces. "Don't play coy."

I lift my shoulder in a half shrug, a grin playing on my lips. "Ever since the day you changed in my car, I've been wildly in love with you."

She rolls her eyes, but there's mirth in them. "I'm the temptress then?"

I place my hand on her arm, wondering if she can hear my heart pounding. "Most assuredly."

She laughs before her face grows somber. "Why? The truth. No jokes."

Drawing in a long breath, I rub my thumb in circles against her arm. "To be fair, you did fluster me in the car that day. But ever since I witnessed you trying to escape from being put to sleep, I think I've been half in love with you." I place my other hand on the back of her head, my fingers tangling in her hair. "You're in my head way too often."

She wraps her hands around me and brushes her lips against mine. "If you had told me I'd be standing here, right now, kissing the man from the 'welcoming committee' from my first night in Somnia, I would have known this was a dream."

I kiss her long and hard. "Would you now?"

"You have to understand, Radia and I were ready to attack you and Tye with a knife."

At the mention of her friend, I pull away. "I'll be visiting her in a few days." Dad's decided to throw heaps of work at me that I have to do if I don't want to draw his eye.

"Could you tell her that I've done it?"

"What have you done?"

Nora smiles. "She'll know."

"Should I be worried?"

Her hands rubbing my back, she shakes her head. "No. She just asked me to do something before she disappeared." Her eyes glaze over, her face softening. "She . . . Ryann." Her brow furrows. "That boy who attacked me, is it possible to find out who he is now? I can't abandon him."

"He'll be there when you wake up."

"That could be a long time from now. If ever. Right now, he's the only connection there is to my life from before." Leaning forward, she rests her head on my chest. "I understand if you aren't able to. I've asked much more than I should have from you."

I brush my fingers through her hair, relishing her warmth. "It's no problem. I want to help." I feel like I'm hardly doing anything.

She doesn't move. "I'm going to show you the world one day. I promise you that."

I rest my chin on the top of her head. "You've given me a reason to escape. And that, Nora, means everything."

If you'd like to join the Discord for Asleep, just let me know!