61 Late

Nora~~

I sit on a stool at the Den's bar. Raymond arrived at eleven and is already downstairs with Avery and Ricky. It's only 11:05. There's nothing to worry about.

I can only hope Raymond keeps his word not to reveal Charlie's identity to Avery and Ricky. I can't have them shutting down any attempt to meet with him. And I don't even know where to begin in imagining what Avery would think after hearing me say I don't trust him—I've probably lost any chance of swaying her to his case.

Still, there's a chance I can swing her and Ricky our way, once they see Charlie with their own eyes and hear his words. Raymond will be there to voice his support too.

Charlie walks in through the front door, the purple lights masking his reddish-bronze hair. He's dressed in dark jeans and what looks like a gray t-shirt.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I slip off the stool and cross the crowded club to reach him.

He startles when I place a hand on his shoulder but relaxes when he sees it's me. "I got held up in line. I was going to text, but Stefan called to talk about our date." He has to speak loudly to be heard over the music.

"I would have had them put you on the list, but I haven't told them who you are."

He slips his hands into his front pockets. "Because they'll run away in terror?"

I grimace as shame fills me. "Something like that."

"It's fine. I could have rifted into the bathroom but that might have been too much of a shock for everyone."

"Most of them are drunk anyway. We should probably go meet my friends."

The way to the staircase is blocked by dancing, swaying, stumbling bodies.

"You might want to hold onto me."

He slips his hand into mine. "Lead the way, Ms. Everley."

I shoulder and squeeze our way through the crowd. Charlie gets shoved, causing him to bump into me. I stiffen, his mouth near my ear. He collects himself.

"Sorry," he murmurs, and I only hear it because we're so close.

We reach the staircase that's fenced off to prevent anyone from falling over the side. I undo the rope connecting the two railings and let Charlie pass before reattaching it behind me.

This is going to be a disaster. I'm asking them to trust him when I've been struggling to do just that.

Raymond's probably told them it's Charlie, and they've either fled or are about to attack us.

I place my hand on his shoulder, thinking to rift us in to ruin any sort of attack they planned.

Charlie looks at me, a timid smile on his face. He places his hand over mine, and I feel some sort of reassurance.

With Charlie's help, we could shut down the dream. But what if Avery and Ricky decide not to help? Could I shut down the dream with only Charlie for another Lucid? I feel like I could.

I open the door, and Ricky, Avery, and Raymond look up. Ricky tenses while any color Avery has drains from her face.

Charlie steps up beside me. "Avery?"

She wraps her arms around herself. "Charlie?" her voice trembles over that one word.

Not wanting to turn my back on them but knowing we need privacy, I kick the door shut. "You know each other?"

Charlie crosses his own arms. "She's my sister."

What do you think it means for the group that Avery is a Pace?