Twenty-Five

"Unmasked"

Some people wake up from a coma with their memory gone.

Others just having missed months, maybe years of their life.

There are even those that wake up unable to move or speak the way they used to. The accident they were in having rid them of that.

Natalie Sanderson, on the other hand? She woke up dead.

Dead and with a face that she did not recognize.

Standing with her hands in her pockets and shades over her eyes. Natalie stared at the gravestone that had her name on it.

A year ago, a Detective named Sanchez approached Natalie, telling her that her husband was suspected of being a part of a money-laundering ring.

Natalie would be a liar to say she hadn't suspected that her husband's job wasn't precisely integral. He'd always made sure to keep her out of his business as much as he could. Especially after she'd integrated to stay-at-home mom once their twin boys were born.

He'd use provision and lavish gifts as the reason why she didn't need to know about what he did at work. Her job was to take care of the boys and appreciative that she didn't want for anything.

Some would say that she'd stayed because of the money and lavish gifts. The truth was, she'd really loved her husband.

It wasn't like he was rich when she met him.

She knew him before they started climbing up the economic ladder.

Before he became controlling and condescending. Natalie convinced herself that her love for him is why she had to stay.

Then there was the fact that she desperately wanted her kids to grow up with a father, unlike she did.

So, she stayed, only to learn that the husband she loved so much was a damn criminal, apart of a damn money-laundering ring that was tied to sex and drug trafficking.

In one snap, that love she had for him was gone. Not only was she disgusted by him but herself. Because she decided to turn a blind eye, she felt responsible for the lives ruined by her husband's doings.

It was that guilt that made it, so she didn't even have to think about helping Detective Sanchez try to catch him. They had a whole plan and secretly worked with each other for months.

But her husband somehow caught on. Knew his wife was talking to the feds and starting making moves himself. Paid off everyone he could, got Sanchez fired, which eventually led him to lose his family.

And he tried to kill Natalie - his wife and the mother of his children.

He'd taken their sons and left her to burn in their house alone.

If it weren't for Detective Sanchez, she'd burned alive. He got her out, took her away, manage to get her a face plant from the damage too.

He even took care of her for a whole year while she was in a coma.

And her husband had pronounced her dead after the search for her had run for months.

While she was asleep, Detective Sanchez had been keeping tabs on her husband. And thinking of a plan of revenge too. He didn't want him arrested either - he wanted him dead.

And figured Natalie would want the same thing too.

With her new face, she'd be unrecognizable. Getting her husband to fall in love with her wouldn't be hard. It'd make it all the more shocking when he realized he'd failed to kill Natalie and would pay the price of what he'd done - with his life.