Ten||Part Two

"Only With You"

This is why I can't have nice things, she thought to herself. Covered in hot, foamy coffee and the center of attention, Marsha tried to make a discreet exit, but Heaven forbid she get out with her dignity intact. The person she wanted to see the least in the world walked in: James.

It had been a little over a year since James' daughter caught them kissing in the bar parking lot. Marsha was so embarrassed that she stopped answering his calls and texts and quit her job at the bar.

The family drama was too much for her. She hated ignoring him and going through the process of erasing him from her life. But Marsha felt like it was the best thing for her own sake.

It didn't matter that his wife was okay with an open relationship. Getting involved with a married man would only result in her demise. What happened with James' daughter was proof of that.

An entire year of no contact, and there James stood with a look of excitement on his face.

"Marsh. Hey," he greeted her.

"Ja-mes," Marsha's voice cracked to her dismay. "What are you doing here?"

"Coffee," he pointed to her shirt. "Though, I was hoping for mine in a cup."

Usually, she would laugh at his corniness, but Marsha rolled her eyes, her embarrassment spiking up again, especially now that she was face to face with James.

"I have to go," Marsha brisked past him outside, without even thinking.

As always, though, James couldn't let her go, at least not without a fight.

"Hey, hey," he quickly ran and stood in her way. "Can we talk?"

"I don't think that's a good idea," Marsha could barely look him in the eyes.

Just being in James' presence triggered the feelings for him that she'd never been able to erase, no matter how much she tried. For an entire year, she's beat herself up for having someone else's husband on her mind.

Talking to him could open a door that she desperately didn't want to enter. She would rather be miserable than sleep with or even entertain a married man.

She was in love with James, but not so much that she was willing to be the other woman.

"Marsha, come on," James tilted his head in an attempt to catch her gaze. "It's me. I want to know how you've been."

Gulping, Marsha looked into his sincere eyes.

"You know," he pushed his hands into his pockets. "So much has changed, and I um - I never stopped thinking about you."

Marsha ignored her heart flip - she needed to get out of there- fast.

"I'm sorry, James," she started backing away. "I just can't."

Marsha quickly turns to leave, but James takes her wrist.

"I got a divorce, Marsh."

His words caused her to pause. She slowly turned to look at James. The excitement that was once in his eyes was now full of pain.

"I could really use someone to talk to," he said desperately. "Please."

Barely computing his divorce, Marsha looked down at the coffee stain on her shirt. "I um -"

"Here," James gives her his car keys. "I have a shirt in the back you can put on. I can get us some coffee, and we can talk in the car - if you're not busy, that is."