Twenty-Four

"Skater Boy"

"Playing possum is what we do. We die so that we live," Killian copied his favorite character Ollie from the movie: Over the Hedge. He lets out kid-like laughter, eating another sour patch kid from behind the wheel of his car.

His date, Naomi, watched from the passenger seat with a smile. They were on yet another date – a drive-in movie. Over the Hedge was one of Killian's favorite childhood movies, and he couldn't miss it.

Naomi was flattered that he wanted to show her something that meant a lot to him. It was a good movie too, but she couldn't focus on it.

They'd been talking and hanging out for some time, and Killian hadn't kissed her yet. He barely even got close to her. There was no hand-holding, no putting his arm around her. Hell, he barely even grazed her arm by accident.

Maybe it wouldn't have been so odd if he wasn't the Killian Jacobs. The Heartthrob of the town, what most considered the "bad boy" - very easy to catch but very well hard to keep. If you were looking for a long-term relationship, he was the boy that you wanted to stay away from. He definitely wasn't the guy you wanted to bring home to parents as strict as Naomi's.

Yet, when he'd asked her out – she said yes.

More because she was curious rather than she was looking for a relationship. Naomi's expectations had been pretty low. So much that she hadn't expected for there to be a second date. Then a third, a fourth – then dating and talking on the phone all the time.

From what she'd heard from the girls in her town, she was expecting some douchebag skater boy who only wanted to get in her pants.

Yet, she got the complete opposite.

Well, that's what it seemed like.

Killian was sweet, very much kid-like. He was funny and smart, and passionate about being a skateboarder. Though most, including his parents, thought that it was dumb and unrealistic.

After having spent so much time with him, it was evident that Killian was misunderstood. People saw his tattoos and skateboard and saw him as something that he really wasn't at heart.

At least that's what Naomi believed for now. She was still trying to protect her heart just in case he really was putting up a façade. Then again, her feelings toward him were really growing, and if he didn't kiss her soon, she was going to start to think he didn't feel the same way.

"You ready to head back to your dorm?" Killian asked her after the movie was over, and they shared a few jokes from the film. He started up his car.

"Not just yet," Naomi shakes her head. "It's still pretty early."

"Okay, what do you want to do?"

"I don't know," she shrugged. "Let's just go somewhere."

"Okay, where?"

"Surprise me," Naomi put on her seat belt.

Killian watched her for a moment quietly. Once he got an idea, he started pulling out of the parking spot. He took her to the only place that he could spend days on end at – the skate park.

It was a Saturday night, so of course, the park was full of skaters. That didn't bother Naomi, though, because she got to see Killian in his element around people just like him. She met a few of his closest friends. All were pretty cool too.

She watched him skate up and down the ramp, doing his tricks, falling on his ass, and getting right back up to try again. There was a smile on his face that never left. It was beautiful to see.