Thirty-One||Part Two

"For Life"

Kyle sipped on his soda, the salt from the popcorn he was eating, leaving him thirsty like a fish out of water. He was at the movies with his girlfriend, Sydney. They'd be watching the Croods 2 and having dinner afterward.

The movie hadn't started yet, and Sydney was in the bathroom. Kyle tried to resist eating the popcorn, but the intoxicating smell of butter made it impossible.

Pulling out his phone to distract himself, he went on Instagram and started scrolling down his feed. As he avoided posts with long captions. He stopped on a picture of Ayanna and Rhonda at the mall eating churros.

The smile on Ayanna's face made his heart flutter. He'd been wondering how she was. He even thought about calling a few times. Georgie encouraged him too, but he never got around to it.

Kyle scrolled past the photo with a slight shake of his head, pushing thoughts of Ayanna out of his mind.

Amid his Instagram scroll came an incoming call from his mother.

He answers the phone, his voice low, "Hey, mom. I'm at the movies."

"I need you to meet me at the hospital," she said calmly though it still freaked her son out.

"Why what happened?" he sat up straight. "Are you okay? Is it, dad?"

"It's Ayanna," the mention of his ex caused his heart to drop right into his stomach.

Gulping, he tightened the grip on his phone. "I'll be right there."

Hanging up, Kyle left his popcorn and drink behind, practically running out of the theater. On his way out, he bumped into Sydney.

"Hey, where are you going?" the brunette noticed the panicked look on his face. "Did something happen?"

"I gotta get to the hospital."

"What? Why?"

"I - I'll call you later," was all Kyle said, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek and leaving.

----------

At twenty-three and twenty-five-years-old Kyle and Ayanna were parents to a baby girl. In just one snap there lives had changed, and they had no time to prepare. The ex-lovers hadn't talked in months, and never in their lives did they think a baby would be the thing to bring them back together.

The young parents stared at the healthy and cleaned newborn as Ayanna breastfed her.

Surprisingly both she and the baby were fine. The doctors had no real answers to why she was able to carry for nine months without noticing. All they could tell her is that though it didn't happen often - it was a thing.

Hence the show I didn't know it was pregnant.

Ayanna had only seen the show once or twice. She'd never imagined she'd be like one of those women. Living her life one minute and pushing out a whole human the next.

Rhonda and Georgina stood at the foot of the hospital bed, staring at the three. The grandmothers were ecstatic. Just like Ayanna, they had already gotten attached to the baby girl.

"Say something," Ayanna brought Kyle out of his shocked daze.

"Hm?" he cocked an eyebrow.

"Say something," she begged. "Anything."