Forty-One

"Making Do with the Unchangeable"

Ilyssa Hendrix stared at her reflection as she stood at the full body mirror in her massive walk-in closet. Though she looked rather stoic, her nerves were intense. After all the therapy she'd had, she still found it hard to display her emotions.

Her father had raised her to always wear a poker face considering the life they lived. To him, confidence was key. To get dangerous, powerful people to do what you wanted, you had to look confident and sure, even if you were scared and hesitant.

His advice had stuck like glue, and at forty-three, she had to remind herself to even smile, let alone show that she was nervous.

She flattened out her white Herve Leger draped mesh-overlay mini dress, turning to the side for a flattering view of her petite figure.

After ten years, she didn't care what she wore as much as she used to. She was just happy not to have to wear orange or overalls anymore.

Once she approved of her make-up, expensive jewelry, and Louboutin heels, Ilyssa was ready to go. She grabbed her clutch, phone, and a shaw just in case it was chilly in the restaurant.

As she made her way down the grand staircase of her home, she puffed on her Juul pen, hoping to calm her nerves. She'd managed to get off cigarettes, but her need to smoke was still alive and too strong to just ignore.

Standing at the door waiting was her bodyguard, Neil. Dressed in his usual black suit, he waited patiently for his boss with his hands held in front of him.

Ilyssa was gone ten years, and as soon as she returned, he was back by her side just as he promised he'd be when she left.

"What do you think, Neil?" she took another puff of her Juul before tossing it in her clutch. She spun slowly, wanting his honest opinion.

"You look, great boss, as always," Neil nods, his facial expression stoic since he was on the job and took Ilyssa's life seriously.

Ilyssa took his word for it, knowing they were close enough that Neil would tell her the truth and has in the past.

"You ready?" he put a hand on the doorknob.

Ilyssa sighs heavily, still very much nervous. She was already reaching for her Juul again, "yes, let's go."

When Neil opens the door, the two halt at the sight of Ilyssa's older brother - Armond. He was leaning on her SUV with his hands in the pockets of his gray Armani suit.

"Look at you," he whistled. "What's the occasion?"

"I have a date," Ilyssa blew flavored smoke in the air, descending the stairs with Neil at her heels. "What brings you by? Unannounced?"

Armond chuckled, knowing his sister hated getting caught off guard. Not that he ever cared anyway.

"I uh, you know, little sis," he ran his fingers through his scruffy salt-and-pepper beard. "I was hoping we could continue our conversation?"

"What conversation?" Ilyssa held her clutch to her side.

Pushing himself off the car, Armond stood in front of her. "Our conversation about getting you back in business"

"This again," Ilyssa wasn't surprised.

"I don't think you understand that people have been waiting ten years eagerly for you to get out."

"Why would anyone want to work with a drug trafficker who got caught?" Ilyssa wondered.

"Because you didn't get caught. You turned yourself in. There's a difference."