Twelve

"What Ifs"

Ashlyn Harris loved a good wedding. There was nothing like witnessing two people becoming one. Promising that they'll stick together through thick and then. With family all around, the bride's pretty white dress, the horrifying brides mates dresses, the attractive groomsmen, and who could forget the reception.

Music and free food?

It was practically a paradise for Ashlyn. She never missed an opportunity to trade her scrubs for a cute dress and a pair of heels. Even when she was a plus one, she always had a great time at a wedding.

Unfortunately, this time around, she had started out as a plus one and went right to babysitting her good friend, Lila.

Lila worked with Ashlyn at her family's doctor's office.

Lila was also married to her high school sweetheart with four kids. This wedding was her getaway, and she was taking advantage of as much as she could.

Drowning drinks like a college kid at their first party.

Ashlyn should have known Lila inviting her was a set-up after her husband bailed. It's not that she didn't want to go to the wedding alone, she needed someone to watch after her.

Ashlyn wouldn't have minded looking out for her friend if she had gotten a heads up that she would get flat out drunk.

"And that is enough for you," she pulled Lila's billionth alcoholic drink out of her grabby fingers.

"You're no fun," Lila slurred, so drunk she couldn't even stand still.

The booming party music didn't help either.

"You need to cool it," Ashlyn shook her head, pulling Lila's body-hugging white dress down. "This is a wedding reception, not a club."

"Would you stop it?" laughed Lila, pushing Ashlyn's hands away from her dress. "Lighten up! I didn't invite you to be a killjoy."

"No, you invited me to be your babysitter and make sure you don't do anything stupid."

"Which I thank you so much for," Lila goes for a hug, but the alcohol on her breath caused Ashlyn to pull back.

"Yeah, okay, thank me later," she pats Lila on the shoulder.

Ashlyn couldn't really be upset. From working, being a mom, and her rocky marriage, Lila deserved some time away. Even if her time away meant getting so drunk, she probably won't remember tonight.

"Lila!"

Lila and Ashlyn look to see the bride and the groom looking over at them. Practically jumping up and down at the sight of their high school friend.

"Oh my god!" Lila took off to greet them.

Ashlyn watched with a shake of her head. Not too long after talking to them, Lila ended up on the dancefloor with the bride.

Ashlyn took the time to enjoy herself but made sure to keep an eye on Lila and her painful off rhythm dancing.

Lila was a beautiful black woman with not a lick of rhythm. It didn't stop her from dancing, though.

Approaching the refreshments table, Ashlyn picked up a slice of chocolate wedding cake. She was so into taking her first bite, she didn't notice the scowling man standing beside her. With a cup of punch in his hand, he stared at the reception party with bitterness plastered over his face.

"Don't you just hate weddings?"

With her fork in her mouth, Ashlyn looked up at the tall, nicely-dressed man. His dirty-blonde hair was pulled into a small bun. He had a strong jaw, a long nose, and cold blue eyes.