Thirty-Eight

"Bridges" 

A revamp of "My Sister's Fiance"  

(A story I wrote years ago. Followers who've known my work for a while might remember) 

Aurora Nelson sipped on her second glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, her eyes locked on the widescreen TV above her marble fireplace mantel. With her best friend working and her half-sister luckily out on a date, she had the house to herself. She was taking some well-needed self-care time.

After lighting some candles, she took a nice bath, did a face mask, her nails (which came out decent for once). She made herself some brownies, popped open a bottle of wine, and sat on the couch to watch: Why Women Kill. A follower from her blog raved that she would love the show.

Aurora had heard of it but was hesitant to watch. It sounded like some radical feminist show about hating men, but her follower insisted the show was anything but that.

Never one to back out of trying something new, Aurora decided to check it out. She was two episodes in and, to say the least, hooked.

As Aurora reached toward the coffee table for a brownie, there was a knock on the door. Her attention instantly snapped to her phone. She checked the time, it was almost ten o'clock, and she wasn't expecting anybody.

If it were her best friend, he would have used his key and definitely called first.

The person knocked again, and with a sigh, Aurora paused the show and set her wine glass down. She made sure not to say anything. Just in case she didn't want to see the person arriving unannounced.

Standing on her toes, Aurora looked through the peephole.

It was her half-sister's fiance, Thomas.

With a frown, she opened the door. "Tommy?"

He was dressed in an expensive black suit and looked rather annoyed.

"Hey, Aura. I'm sorry to bother you. I know it's pretty late," Tommy sighed.

"Shouldn't you be with Moirai?" Aurora leaned in the doorway with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Yeah, but uh," with a huff, he flailed his arms. "She never showed up."

"She never showed up?" Aurora's eyebrows shot up.

"Nope. I waited at the restaurant for two hours. I've called - I've texted - I thought she'd be here."

"No, she's not. She left like, well, two hours ago."

"Of course she did," Tommy turned around for a moment, looking down the busy sidewalk. It was Friday, so the streets of San Fransico were full of young adults drunk, sober, and high.

He turns around, "you wouldn't happen to know where she is, would you?"

With an eyebrow arch, Aurora tilts her head at him.

"Right, dumb question," Tommy shook his head at himself.

It was no secret that Aurora and Moirai weren't close. The only reason they were even living together was because of her father's requests and desire for them to reconcile.

The girls had been living together for over a month, and they barely even spoke to each other. Let alone kept tabs on each other's whereabouts.

"Well, sorry for bothering you." Turning around, Tommy descended down the stairs, cursing under his breath.