Forty-Nine

"Three's a Charm"

Finally, the weekend, Danielle Martin thought as she entered her LA apartment. She leaned against the door, letting out a loud tired yawn. The week felt long and slow, mainly because she'd been on her cycle.

As if she wasn't exhausted enough, she was an executive assistant to a well-known events planner. They'd managed to find themselves yet another bridezilla. It was a few weeks before the wedding, and she was changing big last-minute things.

While her boss was busy with the finishing touches, Danielle was left with canceling what the bride didn't want and searching for companies that would work with them despite the short notice.

To keep her boss from losing her mind, she'd been the one running around town like a chicken with its head cut off. Danielle loved her job and her boss even more, but she hated a bridezilla. Even more so when she was on her period.

Not only was Danielle tired, but she was starving, craving everything that came to mind. Luckily, she wouldn't have to cook. Not that she had food in her fridge anyway. She was overdue for a grocery run.

Before Danielle could put her purse down, her phone rang inside.

It was her aunt Monica.

"Hello?" she answered, taking off her black blazer and stepping out of her heels.

"Oh, so you answer her phone calls and not mine," her mother's voice made her heart dropped to her stomach. "I see where we stand."

"Don't be jealous, Deb," cackled Monica in a laugh that would annoy any older sibling.

"Get off me, girl," her mother snapped.

Danielle laughed; suddenly, she was homesick. She enters her bedroom, tossing her blazer across the bed before laying down. "I'm sorry I haven't answered your calls, mom. We've been dealing with that client I told guys about -"

"The one who said all her bridesmaids had to lose weight to be in her wedding?" asked Monica.

"Yeah, that one," Danielle sighed, turning on her back. She undoes the buttons of her blouse, revealing her black lace bra. "As if she hasn't been a pain in the butt the entire time, she decided to change some things around."

"Isn't she getting married in less than a month?" her mother asked.

"A few weeks. So, we've been swamped trying to make sure she has the best day of her life. She better be lucky she's rich. I had to talk Emily out of her dropping her so many times."

"Well, when she gets paid, you get paid," said Monica.

"Exactly. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and get the bag. Anyway," Danielle yawned again, unbuttoning her jeans. "What are you guys up to?"

"Talking about you."

"Of course. What'd I do know?"

"Turn twenty-six still single and no grandbabies for me," her mother made her eyes roll.

Deborah had Danielle later than most women usually have kids.

So Danielle understood why her mother was rushing her. However, for someone who remained childless until her mid-forties and happily so.

Danielle thought her mother would encourage her to live her life to the fullest until she was ready to start a family. The older she became, the more her mother complained.

"Can we not do this?" Danielle held the bridge of her nose. "I don't have the energy to argue my case."

"I'll call you tomorrow," Deborah made her laugh. "Be ready."