Fourteen

"Project Sober"

She was gone.

Mentally wise, that is.

She had a permanent sly smirk on her face, her eyes vacant.

It was like staring at a blank television screen that, for some reason, just wouldn't turn on because, unknowingly, a cord had been disconnected.

A weird yet perfect analogy for her. A blank TV screen with a missing plug.

More than one plug at that.

Her brown eyes stared through the glass window. She couldn't see the three men staring at her, but she knew they were there.

With her wrists handcuffed to the table, her white dress was barely covering her exposed emerging bust.

She smiled at the glass, sickly amused.

Patience was her forte. It was something she had learned when she started working for him.

They could make her wait as long as they wanted, she wasn't going to say a word, and they definitely weren't going to see her sweat.

Technically, for them, this was a mission, failed. They weren't even trying to catch her.

Though she was an accomplice to most of his crimes, he was the one they wanted. She just happened to be in his place when they intercepted one of his famous clubs.

Usually, he was with her but not this time. She was working on her own and sadly was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

She sat back with a huff, her messy dark hair falling over her shoulders.

"I'm bored," she whined. "Being in handcuffs is usually a lot more fun than this."

Biting her lip, she leaned her elbows on the table, exploiting her chest even more. "Can one of you come play with me?"

"This is sick," commented Agent Holland on the other side of the glass.

The annoyed Agent was standing between Agent Boyd and Director Woods.

"I mean, I don't know who's worse. Him or her?"

"Well, she is his creation," the Director replied. "As our years of tracking them has gone past, she's only gotten worse. She has blood on her hands too."

"Which means we can lock her up for good," Holland liked the sound of that.

Just because they didn't catch him didn't mean this wasn't a good thing. The world was a little better, with at least one of them put away.

"Yes, but we can't lock her up just yet," said the Director. "We could use this to our advantage."

Holland scoffed, "she won't say a word."

Woods nodded, "I know but-"

"He'll come and get her," Agent Boyd finally spoke up after having been staring at her for what seemed like an eternity. "Despite his money, his drugs, his connections, she is his biggest asset."

Director Woods looked at the Agent, curiously.

"Well, how long do you think we got?" asked Holland.

"Less than twenty-four hours. . . Until then, I think I should talk to her.".

Holland looked at his partner, just like the Director. "Why? She won't say anything."

Finally pulling his gaze away from her, Boyd looked at his boss and partner, emotion beaming in his eyes. "Won't hurt to try."

Director Woods turns to him. "Agent Boyd, may I remind you that this woman is a criminal, not a project or a homeless person we take in. She has blood on her hands and deserves to be put in prison. By now, you are aware that in this job you cannot -"