Two

"His Safe Place"

It was the fleeting hour of the day when the moon and sun are high and bright at the same time. Like many things in my life, these summer nights wouldn't last much longer. I sat quietly inside the roped hammock on the patio, listening to the sound of the crashing waves. The waves were like a lullaby. It brought me happiness and made me feel at peace.

Venice Beach had been too good to me. The people, the beach, the art, the food, my mother was here - the beach. I loved Manhattan, but the laid back West was addicting. Sadly, I'd be back in the busy city tomorrow night. The summer left just as fast as it had come.

It was time for me to go home, which I should have been happy about. A bride should be excited to walk down the aisle and say "I do" to her prince charming. Right?

At the sound of the patio door sliding open, I turned my head to see - him. The man who always put a smile on my face. The man who knew my deepest fears, my dreams, and loved me for who I was. Not who he wanted me to be like most people had all my life.

He ran his fingers through his gorgeous bed hair as he carefully joined me in the hammock. Laying his arm over my stomach, he nuzzled his face into my neck.

"I thought I'd find you out here," he said, his voice raspy from his nap, still.

At the smell of his minty breath, I chuckled, "someone brushed their teeth."

"Well, it's your last day, so I thought I'd do something nice for you."

I hated his breath after he had just woken up, but that didn't stop him from spreading kisses on my face almost every time. He knows how much I hated it but loved to get on my nerves every chance he got.

"How sweet of you," I turned on my side to look him in the eyes.

"Hey," he smiled, pulling my thigh over his torso.

"Hi," I reached over and caressed his cheek.

Venice and my mother wasn't the only reason I didn't want to leave.

Usually, he and I saw each other every other weekend of the month, but being together all summer changed everything. Our connection was stronger and the love we had for one another had grown into something I couldn't quite put in words.

The worst part about going home to marry a man I didn't love, was knowing I was doing just that.

"I don't want to leave you," I said sadly.

He took my hand, and kissed the back of it, "then don't."

"John," I pulled my hand away. "We talked about this."

"Look, babe, I'm not saying don't get married. I'm saying, marry me instead."

"Really?" I laughed.

"Hear me out, Ang," he said. "I know you say your dad's a hardass but, just let me talk to him."

"Oh, no," I shook my head, "that can't happen. Ever. What do you think you're going to do? Convince him that you're the right man for me?"

"That is exactly what I'm gonna do," he rubbed my thigh. "I mean, how can he resist this," he motioned to his face. "You can't."

"Due to the things we've done over the past three months, I have grounds to not be able to resist you," I raised my eyebrows at him flirtatiously.

"Gets you hot just thinking about it, huh?" his lips spread into a wide grin.