Chapter 1: Sophie

"Sophie Elizabeth Foster! Please come up to the stage."

Those 9 words were enough to get my heart beat out of my chest. All my friends stood around me, and today was the day marking one week since me and my friends defeated the Neverseen. My friends and I exchanged nervous glances. This could not be good. Then, as if reading my mind, (which he could technically do...) Councilor Emery made it even worse by adding on, "And please bring up your friends." So, me, Biana, Keefe, Fitz, Dex, Tam, Linh, Wylie, Marella, and - this might surprise you - Stina. She'd become a valuable ally, and over the years, she'd become our friend. More so to me and Biana, and she was kinda frenemies with everyone else...anyway not important! We all walked onto the stage, me in the lead. When we got there Emery said to the crowd, "This brave group of people are the reason you are all safe now. I know that in the past few months the Neverseen's attacks have been getting worse and worse. But I am pleased to inform you that one week ago, to this day, this brave group of people battled every last member of the Neverseen in a location that will not be told for your well being, and now we have the remaining members locked in a new secret security prison, that is impossible to breach, and only a select few know where it is. But, I would like to tell you the real reason I had these 10 heroes come on stage. The council has unanimously decided that each of you will be granted one wish, as long as it's within our power. Miss Foster? Would you like to go first or last?" He whispered that last part to me. I whispered back, "Last" I did not want the pressure of going first. Council Emery stood and looked at Stina. "Miss Heks. What is your wish?" Stina looked a little shocked, but she did just as much as we did to help. "Um, I wish.........to......" she was silent for a long time, as if debating with herself whether or not to ask what she truly desired. She finished off her sentence with a shocking, "go on a date.........with......Fitz Vacker!" She practically shrieked that last part, so lots of people in the audience started suppressing snickers. I even saw her mom facepalm and her dad shake his head. Everyone on the council definitely looked taken aback, so I'll give Stina props for that. Also, Fitz looked a little sick. "Um...ok. Mr. Vacker, will you go on at least one date will Miss. Heks?" Stina looked so nervous I swear she wanted to blow some chunks over the audience. Fitz looked out at the crowd, and I could tell that he didn't want to look bad, so his only answer was yes, and the crowd was waiting expectantly for his answer. "I-I guess." He kinda struggled to get that sentence out, and I noticed he kept glancing at me, but I couldn't figure out why. I felt a little jealous but I pushed my feelings aside. Stina breathed a small sigh of relief. Emery looked uncomfortable as he tried to move on. "Um, ok, Miss. Redek, come here. What is your wish?" I knew what she was going to ask, but the crowd sure didn't. "I wish that ALL Pyrokinetics can be trained, and not treated like they're some monster because of something they can't control. Think about it people! Brant was a Pryokinetic, and if he'd had proper training, and been treated like a normal person, and not a monster, Jolie wouldn't be dead. Sophie and Dex wouldn't have been burned so many times during their kidnappings! So many lives would have been saved! So much pain avoided! This is a rule that has stood too long!" Marella had a determined look in her eyes, and I could tell she really needed the council to accept her wish. The council looked at each other, and I could tell they were having a telepathic conversation, and when they were done, Emery announced that, "Miss. Redek is right. We accept your wish." Marella's eyes started to tear up and I hugged her. "You did it! You got the rule lifted!" She nodded. A smile spread across her face. Emery opened his mouth again to announce the next person. "Mr. Endal! What is your wish?

______________________________________________________

And on it went just like that. One by one. Wylie wished for no more memory breaks unless it was literally the only option left, Linh and Tam made their wish together, and they wanted the prejudice against multiple births to be stopped, Dex wanted kids to be able to get into the elite levels and nobility even if they're talentless - as long as they work hard. Fitz's wish was stupid. In my opinion at least. Then again, I hadn't been able to stand him since the incident and when we broke up last month...... He wanted to be there when someone broke Alvar's mind before they sent him off to exile. I really like Biana's wish. She wished that the council make emergency crystals in a form of jewelry that would leap you to a safe place. And that everyone would get one. Then Emery called out my name. "Miss. Foster, would you please step forward?" I nodded and stepped forward. He nodded at me to have me proceed with my wish. "My wish...my wish is that matchmaking is no longer required."