part thirty

Hermione could feel her heart pounding out of her chest as she speed walked the length of the courtyard, side by side to Ron. Her heels clicked every step of the way as her hands clutched her dress so tightly she might rip off a piece of fabric.

Astoria was following close behind, only a few steps behind the two, as they hurried their way to the silent Hall, where more people than ever seemed to be screaming. Ron physically pushed a big group of students out of the way, clearing the path for Hermione and Astoria as they all quickly turned their heads to the direction of the screaming, which was right by the entrance.

As Hermione closed in on the sound, she could see a a circle of students with a clearing in the middle, only two students were lying on the floor within that circle. Hermione pulled two people from the circle away to see what was the matter.

There in the middle of the floor, was Professor Twitch, and in her laps, a very troubled looking Hannah Abbott. But something seemed to be protruding-

"It's a knife," Hermione gasped, clasping her hand over her mouth at the sight of it.

In the very middle of Hannah's stomach, a silver and gold-vine detailed dagger pierced deep into her flesh, allowing for a very quickening flow of blood to fall from the dagger's tip to a circular pool underneath her entire midsection- making countless people scream and run off in a flurry.

To Hannah's side, Theo stayed crouched with a blank stare, showing no emotion at all as he barely could listen to Professor Twitch's instructions to fetch Madame Pomfrey. Hermione could see a very worried looking Harry, Luna, Neville, Pansy, Blaise and George on the other end of the circle, looking down anxiously at the girl.

"She needs help!" a sixth year student screamed, pointing to the dagger.

As if on cue, Miss McGonogall, Hagrid and Professor Slughorn came in quick, pushing people and barking at people in their way as they stopped upon the poor girl on the cold, stone floor.

"Merlin save her," Professor McGonogall whispered just so Hermione could hear, as she neatly sat down at Hannah's head, who had recently lost consciousness and only a small breath was audible from her mouth. "All Prefects, escort everyone out of the Great Hall at once! Return to your dormitories and stay there whilst we secure the castle and Miss Abbott. Now!"

Following her orders, a whole conundrum rose as every student in the Hall left loudly, running or speed walking as fast as they could out, allowing for many people to get shoved and tossed around in the sea of students.

"Hermione- wait, Ron? Ron you're here?" Harry anxiously greeted as he walked over to them, a look of shock on his face from Ron's presence.

He nodded grimly, "Bad timing it seems."

"What happened, Harry?" Hermione demanded.

Pansy walked over to them, looking more sober, "We don't know. All of a sudden some girl started to shriek to God's heaven, and when we looked over, Hannah collapsed onto the floor clutching something shiny. We couldn't see what it was, but now we know."

"This is so awful," Hermione croaked as the Professors levitated her body from the floor, running quickly to the Hospital Wing in an attempt to save her life. "Where's Ginny?"

Harry's eyes narrowed at her, "What do you mean? I was just about to ask the same thing."

Hermione's eyes widened, "You don't know where she is?"

"She said she was going out to see you!" Blaise added in defense. "Astoria?"

Astoria waved sheepishly at the boy, "Hello."