Being Found

I'm back! Sorry for the long ass wait, but I come bringing good news! My sister is finally all healed and the writers block finally went away. My goal is to get the next chapter up sometime in the next two weeks maybe sooner.

Happy reading!

If you asked one Severus Snape that he could be surprised in less than five seconds, he would have scoffed at you and proceeded to call you an idiot. But as he stands at the entry of an alleyway between two old houses, in the middle of the night, in the middle of winter––he was more than just surprised. He was horrified and concerned; because just a few feet in front of him lies two sleeping children huddling together in order to stay warm in their nightmare filled dreams. 

Oh how he could empathize with them. Normally he would have just put on his Slytherin, uncaring persona and just leave them there because he had nothing to do with them; but, with his secret love’s recent death he could hear her disappointment in him for leaving children alone like that. As he stood there arguing with himself, the clouds blocking the moonlight moved away and the moon’s rays shone upon the two young children. 

That’s when he saw their hair. A deep red––not ginger––but a deep scarlet––like blood––rested on the children’s heads and Severus felt his heart ache. Why did fate always have to throw things back into his face? Impulsive, he went and picked up both children and he couldn’t help but notice how small they were. How thin they were. Then, without much prompting, he turned on his heel and apparated home. The children in his arms didn’t even stir at the severely uncomfortable sensation apparating provided. 

In the safety of his home, he casts some diagnosis spells after he laid the children down on his living room couch. What he found was less than satisfactory. 

Not only were they both severely malnourished, but he found broken bones that were never healed correctly or were so recent that any sort of simple walking would put them in extreme pain. He was glad they were asleep, it might have also been the very reason as to why they didn’t react to apparating. They were already in so much pain that just a little more wasn’t noticeable. The girl’s throat and vocal chords were damaged enough that without magical help, she would have difficulties speaking the rest of her life. She wouldn’t be mute, definitely not to that extent, but she just wouldn’t be able to speak much without straining what use she has left of the vocal organs.

The boy’s right eye was completely gone. Nothing but an empty socket left open and covered with dirty, bloodied bandages. But what had concerned him the most was the nerve damage the both had sustained. He recognized it. It was Bellatrix’s and one of his Lord’s favorite spells. And knowing their ages didn’t help. 

A three year old toddler and one year old baby. Both were crucio-ed. Severus was about to start treating the injuries he could, but the boy suddenly snapped open his eye and pulled the baby girl closer to him in a protective embrace. He hadn’t yet seen Severus, but the wand pointed in his direction put him immediately on edge and eyed the thing distrustfully with extreme predjudice. 

Severus saw the boy eye his wand with a caution a man his own age would hold. This boy was three. Three. The girl was one. He had already figured it out. They know what a wizard is, or at least have been harmed by someone with a wand. Whom, Severus has no idea. The girl started to stir and whimpered in pain and both males heard the loud grumble of her empty stomach begging to be fed. Her eyes squinted open and revealed shimmering silver eyes to a bewildered Severus. 

He had never in his life seen such eyes. Of course that mutt of a man that had just got his ass thrown in prison had grey eyes as far as Severus could remember, but not the beautiful glittering silver that stared back at him in hunger.