From the Ground Up

I'm back! Kinda short chapter but I had an idea after scrolling through the comments. I'd like to make a shout out to Tiribiri for the idea.

How many times have you turned and looked back but never saw the person you were looking for? When after you made a joke, you turned to where they normally would be by your side to see their reaction only to find they aren’t there? To be constantly reminded that your best friend in the whole world is dead? How many times?

How many times can a human suffer before they shatter? I guess we’ll have to find out on a different day.

They traveled for days and weeks by foot. They waded through many streams and rivers. It wasn’t until they had camped down for the night and sent off a squad of sentinels did they receive word back from their long-distance scouting party. Terra took the letter out of the cylindrical casing on the messenger hawk’s back and read it to himself under his breath in disbelief. A large grin spread across his face threatening to split his face open and showing off his teeth as a belly-deep laugh escaped him and past his chapped lips. 

“Silver!” He cried. “Silver come here!” He continued to laugh. His sister approached him skeptically thinking that he finally lost it before he shoved the piece of paper so close to her face she couldn’t properly read it. She grumpily snatched the paper out of his hands as he ran circles around her with his hands in the air. Silver rolled her eyes and looked down at the paper and began to read. Other Grey Knight members stared incredulously at Terra before glancing at each other weirded out and shrugging their shoulders. 

Silver scoffed in disbelief and shoved the paper back into Terra’s chest when he passed her by. He stumbled for a moment before righting himself and gazing deep into his sister’s eyes. His grin slightly fell when he didn't see any emotion on her face. She nodded at him and motioned to the others with a quick tilted jerk of her head. Terra’s grin came back full force. 

Silver started moving in a Northbound direction and yelled, “Move out!” However, no one moved. Many just stood where they were and looked at each other quizzically as if they had the answers.

“You heard the lady! Get a move on!” Terra sternly ordered the group.

“Where are we going?” Mason questioned under his breath to Terra. Silver, with her sharp ears, heard what he said but didn't answer as she was focused on guiding the group on where to go. She knew Terra would answer for her.

“We’re going home.” Said Terra.

“Home? You mean back to that burnt shit pile of nothing?”

“No. We’re going somewhere else.”

“Where? Where are we going? What’s the plan?” Terra stopped walking where he was to stare at Mason with a straight face. A frown began to make its way onto his face as Mason wasn’t letting up.

“The plan is that we are going to follow Silver as she leads us to where we are going.”

“Wh-”

“And we’ll get there when we get there.”

“Yes sir.” Mason sighed. He went towards some of his subordinates to have them relay what was going on to everyone else. The further north they went the colder and thinner the air got until they reached an abandoned town in the mountains. Some of the buildings were beginning to fall apart, but as they were made of stone, they seemed to have made it as far as they were pretty intact. More so than the warehouse they were previously staying in. The best part was, there was a large abandoned factory that stood against the test of time. This large hulking building was built mostly from steel. The structure was still sound and sturdy, nothing short of a bomb would bring this building down, though considering how their last headquarters went down they didn’t have too much hope. However, this was to be everyones’ new home so they were going to try to make it last.