Through Thick and Thin

A/N: I know I've been kinda a lot MIA, but my writers block is gone and I had time to finish it. I made it extra special and heart string pulley. Enjoy!

After Terra and Silver finally earned Cascius’s complete trust, the three never went anywhere without each other. It wasn’t as easy as many would think it is to earn an abused child’s trust. They started with telling Cascius that they wouldn’t ever leave him willingly. Everyday they told him that. They took care of Cascius. Actually, it was more Silver taking care of him than her brother doing the work. She knew the human body better. She knew how to care for others’ wellbeing better than her brother. That much wasn’t easy either. Cascius, for weeks, kept checking his food for poison or rotten food. Always watched whichever sibling was cooking the meal at the time. He always waited for them to eat first and get through half of their meal before he even took a small bite. They didn’t blame him for his caution. They even taught him how to cook as well. When it was Cascius’s turn, they didn’t hesitate to start eating after all three were served. It began to break his walls down with all the effort they were putting into him. He saw how much they trusted him when they ate the meals he cooked without complaint or hesitations. 

They trust him. 

Silver had taken it a step further. She complimented him on his skin, or his ears, or his horns. Anything that made him different she reminded him everyday that he is accepted. Silver would gush over his horns and say that she wished she had some so that they could match. It warmed Cascius’s guarded heart that she wasn’t scared of him. He was glad that she didn’t hate him. 

When people came by to look for him, the siblings always hid him and convinced the hunters that they hadn’t seen or heard of him. Even when they were threatened with their sibling’s life, they didn’t give him up. 

He did start to notice things about the siblings though. Strange happenings. When there was a bad storm and the wood they had was sopping wet, Silver had miraculously lit the campfire. One time when they all went on a hunting trip that took them two weeks and came back to a dusty and dirty warehouse, all Terra did was sneeze and a powerful gust of wind blew all the dirt and dust out the front door.

Cascius loved being around the Scarlet siblings. There was just something special about them. Not in the way that he was, but the way they acted. As if they were older than they were. Silver, however, just seemed...warmer. Like her very soul could wrap you in a warm hug and chase away everything bad. That's actually how her hugs felt like. Every time he had a nightmare, she was right there gently hugging him in such a way that didn't make him feel trapped. A way that made him feel safe and comforted. She'd always whisper to him, "You are allowed to scream; you are allowed to cry, but you are not allowed to give up."

He never knew what to say to that.

It wasn't long until Terra had the wonderful idea to learn to fight and use the weapons that they had found. Silver was all for it, wanting to learn how to better protect those precious to her—even though it was only two people. Cascius didn’t want to be left behind, and with his growing attachment to the siblings—he wanted to protect them too. They started with exercise and conditioning to build up strength and muscle to perform the feats that they aim to do.

There was a night that there came upon them a terrible storm. The three of them huddled close to the fire away from the pouring rain and thunder. They heard heavy footsteps approaching their hideout. A silhouette of a figure flashed into view occasionally due to the frequent flashes of lightning. When the figure got out of the pouring rain and fully into view, the person took off the hood covering their head to reveal a young male face. He was definitely a teenager. How old? The trio didn’t know.