For Which They Are Named (pt. 2)

Sorry for the wait! End of the school year is coming and I've been bogged down in work and finals are kicking my ass this year. Weekends aren't free time anymore, but I endeavor to update as often as possible!

"...No way..."

Guns.

Lots and lots of guns.

De Lisle Carbines, P14s, M1917 Einfields, Lee Einfields, No. 4 Mk.1 rifles, Lee Einfield No.5 Mk. I "Jungle Carbines", Lanchester SMGs, Stens, Thomspson SMGs "Tommy Guns, Sterling/Patchett Machine Carbine Mark 1s, Bren light machine guns, Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR), Lewis guns, Vickers machine guns, Browning M1919s, Browning M2s, Besa machine guns, Besals, Browning FN-Inglis's, Webley No.1 Mk. 1s, and Welrods (suppressed pistols). Other crates had more guns and explosives. Now, whether those explosives are now duds or still active is a question better left unanswered.

More crates had uniforms of what looked to be infantry or standard issue lower rank military. Others had ammo, maps (which are pretty useless now since they are severely outdated, compasses, and more. Every crate or box or storage container of any kind that they found had one thing in common.

All of these things were from World War Two.

Sadly there was no food, but they will make do with what they have. The medicine was questionable, there is no telling how long it had actually been since it was made. They started by cleaning up the debris as best they could. They were really small children, so really they couldn't do much. They organized what they had. Made beds out of the uniforms that they couldn't fit in. The girl put on the smallest undershirt she could find and exchanged it for her dirty old clothes that had much wear and tear to them. She used an old belt and wrapped it around her waist a few times. From the belt she hung leather pouches and some small knives. She found some pants that she modified to her size by using some needle and thread that she got from an old lady who taught her how to fix their clothes. The boy found a shirt and pants and the girl fixed them more to his size, though granted, it was a little baggy.

They used old wood that couldn't be used to fix the warehouse as some wood for a fire at night. They made a medium sized fire pit in the center of the first floor with many rocks laid together to form a circle. One old map was used to help start the fire when the sun began setting and the air grew cooler. The siblings were lucky to find so many match boxes among the supplies, even better that the girl can start a fire with one match stick.

They did not freeze that night.

The next morning was spent bathing in a creek about a quarter mile from the warehouse. The Scarlet boy had started setting traps for deer in the forest while the girl searched for some berries that were safe to eat. Berries were very abundant in supply this time of year (because it was spring) so the siblings wouldn't have to worry so much about starving everyday. It was a small blessing that they couldn't feed themselves too much too quickly. They would have to slowly introduce food back into their diet. That meant they didn't have to stress too much about finding enough food.

The winter months from their escape and roaming were harsh on them, but they made it through. Spring is a new beginning. "We'll make it through this." The girl will whisper to herself every night before she falls asleep on her makeshift bed.

That was how the two lived for two years. Living off the land. They had plenty of supplies that they rationed out enough that they still had tons of it left over. The boy had fixed up the second story's floor up the best he could and that was where he stored their supplies. The first floor was their living space. The center of the floor held the fire pit where they cooked all their food and such. Surrounding the fire pit a little bit away, were the beds--nests made of cloth really--where the siblings slept near the fire to keep warm.