Meeting Him Online

You toss your backpack onto a pile of clean clothes (putting stuff away isn’t your strong suit) and turn your computer on. Homework can wait—yesterday, you signed up for a website called PerfectMatch.com. It guarantees that you’ll be connected to your soul mate, and you want to know if you have a match yet.

You’ve met and broken up with five different boys through various dating websites in the last three months, but you still believe that this time you’ll find The One. You log on to Perfect Match, almost jumping out of your chair with anticipation. Nothing.

“(Your name),” your mom calls from the door to your bedroom. “Don’t forget, homework comes first. And I thought I told you to put those clean clothes away!”

You roll your eyes. “Yes, Mom.”

Once she leaves, you toss the clothes on the floor of your closet, start playing ‘The Music Man’ soundtrack full blast, and pull out your first homework assignment.  Then you brace yourself for a few hours of boredom.

You don’t finish your homework until it’s almost time for dinner. As soon as it’s done, you log back on to Perfect Match, and—surprise! You’ve been matched to somebody named Chocolate_Cake. You don’t hesitate to send him a chat request.

(Your username): Hi! Nice username!

Chocolate_Cake: Well, I love cake, so I thought, why not?

Y/u: I love cake too! Especially when it’s fresh out of the oven.

Chocolate_Cake: I’m jealous.

Y/u: Well, I’m not eating it right now…

Chocolate_Cake: Still jealous.

Just then, your mother shouts, “Y/n! Time for dinner!” You sigh and turn back to your computer.

Y/u: Drat. Time for dinner. Family battering door down. Resume chat in half an hour?

Chocolate_Cake: Actually, I just remembered I’m supposed to cook dinner tonight. Good timing. See ya in half an hour.

Y/u: See ya.

“Y/n!” Your mom shouts. “Now!”

“Okay!” You yell back. “I’m coming, already!”

You eat dinner as fast as possible and escape back upstairs. Not surprisingly, Chocolate_Cake is already back online when you log in.

Y/u: Okay, I escaped with my life.

Chocolate_Cake: What took you so long?

Y/u: I had to listen to a lecture on Mesopotamia. My dad’s a history professor.

Chocolate_Cake: My dad’s a singer. I’m always listening to speeches about songs he’s written and competitions he’s entered.

Y/u: Ouch.

You and Chocolate_Cake chat together until your mom makes you turn your computer off and go to bed. You don’t sleep, though. Instead, you lie awake and think about Chocolate_Cake. You can’t help but think that this time, you’ve met The One.