You Get Scared

You look up toward the top of the huge cliff. "I'm not sure about this, Cole."

"Relax, y/n," Cole says with a grin. "I've climbed this cliff dozens of times. It's easy as cake."

"Easy for you to say," you mutter. You're getting vertigo just from looking up the cliff. You'd rather not find out what it's like to look down it.

You try to focus on staying calm and taking deep breaths while Cole explains some climbing basics and points out the best route up the cliff. Okay. You can do this. Just don't panic.

Cole leads you over to the base of the cliff and grabs a handhold. "See you at the top!" he calls.

"Wait, Cole! I can't..." you trail off. Cole's already almost thirty feet up. He can't hear you. You sigh and decide to give it a shot. You find a handhold. Then a foothold. Then another handhold.

You slowly climb higher, not trusting yourself to see how far you've come. You're reaching for another handhold when the worst possible thing happens-your foot slips.

You scream and flail your free arm, searching for something, anything, to grab onto. Finally, you find a handhold and pull yourself flat against the face of the cliff. You feel around with your foot, but you can't find a toehold. You press your face against the rock, tears trickling down your cheeks.

"Don't look down, y/n, don't look down, don't look down..." you whisper to yourself. You're too scared to move.

You can't just dangle here forever. Maybe you can climb the rest of the way to the top and hike down the long way? You look up and your head starts swimming. The cliff above you seems to stretch away forever. It's probably only about fifty feet to the top, but from your perspective, it looks like fifty miles. You're definitely not going to make it all the way up there.

"Y/n? Babe, are you okay?" Cole asks from nearby. You choke back a sob and shake your head.

"Come on," Cole says. "You're almost to the top. I'll be right next to you the whole way, okay? If you start to fall, I'll catch you."

"*sniff* Okay..." you say quietly.

Cole helps you place your hands and feet, guiding you up the cliff until you finally reach the top and pull yourself over the edge. You scramble away from the edge and lie on the grass, panting. Cole sits next to you and strokes your hair until you calm down.

"Y/n, why didn't you tell me you're afraid of heights?" he asks.

"I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of falling," you joke weakly. "I just didn't want you to think I was a scaredy-cat."

Cole laughs quietly. "Y/n, I could never think of you as a scaredy-cat. You stood up to my obnoxious ex and saved me from a bunch of pirates. You're one of the bravest people I know."

"Thanks, Cole," you say quietly. "But...can we walk down instead of climbing?"

"Of course we can."