Small World...

"Hey guys, guess what?" Cole calls, walking you through the door of the monastery. He pauses for a second, surprised when there's no answer.

"That's weird," he mutters. "Where could they be?"

You poke Cole's arm and point toward the living room. "That way, silly." You can hear muffled voices coming through the doorway.

Cole rolls his eyes good-naturedly and heads toward the living room. "Right."

Kai's voice becomes clear as you step toward the door, with Cole right behind you. "We're not telling you and that's final."

"Telling whom what?" you ask.

Predictably, everyone in the room jumps, then turns toward you. The ninja all look shocked—no surprise there—but you're focused on the girl standing in the center of the room.

"Y/n?" R/g/n says, sounding surprised. "No way!"

"R/g/n?" you ask, a grin spreading across your face. "Long time, no see! What are you doing here?"

"Better question, what are you doing here?" Jay demands, looking surprised.

Cole opens his mouth to reply, but you beat him to it by grabbing a pillow from the couch and hitting Jay with it. "I'm Cole's girlfriend. Why wouldn't I be here?"

Lloyd sits up straight. "But I thought you two—" He stops when you wind up to swing the pillow again. "Never mind."

R/g/n shakes her head. "Okay, wait. If you and Cole are together, how come you ran away from him in the mall?"

You swat her on the shoulder—gently this time—with the pillow. "We were kind of broken up at the time."

"But we're back together now," Cole finishes, putting his arm around your shoulders. You've missed that strong arm. You look at Cole and smile. He smiles back.

A tentative cough interrupts your romantic moment. "Okay, that's nice," r/g/n says, "but back to what I was asking."

The ninja sitting around the room groan. You silence them by casually swinging the pillow in your hand, then turn to r/g/n. "What's that?"

R/g/n scowls and folds her arms. "They're not telling me things." You can't help but laugh. On anyone else, that expression might be intimidating, but r/g/n's natural cuteness makes it look adorable.

"What?" r/g/n demands angrily.

"You, r/g/n, are too adorable to be scary," you explain between bursts of laughter.

R/g/n flushes in annoyance, which makes the ninja start laughing as well. You shut them up by swatting Kai and Zane with your pillow. Jay ducks out of reach, and you make a note to deal with him later.

Once the laughing has stopped, you glare around the room. "Okay, then, what gives? What are you guys not telling my friend?" R/g/n looks a little surprised at the word friend, but you don't bother to explain yourself. You like r/g/n, and the ninja aren't exactly on your good side after busting into your shop.

To your surprise, Cole pokes your shoulder and whispers, "It's private. As in, really private. She probably wouldn't want you listening in on it."

You're curious, but you can see Cole's reasoning. "I see." In a louder voice, you announce, "I'm going into the kitchen to make a cake while you guys stay here and answer r/g/n's questions."

You glance over at r/g/n and add, "If they won't tell you something, just yell, and I'll sort them out." You emphasize the point by holding up the pillow you grabbed.

"Uh, okay," r/g/n says as you head out the door. "Thanks." You wink at her and swat Jay on the way out.

Cole follows you into the kitchen. "Thanks for handling that."

"What do you mean?" you ask, pulling out baking supplies.

Cole shifts uncomfortably. "Well, she's been through a lot lately, and Sensei didn't think she was ready to hear...that stuff yet. But I think he's wrong. I was going to suggest telling her once we got back here anyway, so...thanks."

"Happy to help," you say, grabbing an apron. "Who is she, anyway?"

Cole looks uncomfortable. "Well, she was Lloyd's girlfriend—"

"Lloyd with a girlfriend?" you laugh. "That I have to see."

"—but it's kind of weird now," Cole finishes.

"I'll have to ask her to explain that sometime." You swat Cole's hand with a spoon. "And no dipping your fingers in the cake batter!"