Graduation

You fidget uncomfortably in your graduation cap and gown. You just know that you're going to trip in front of everyone while getting your diploma.

"Ready to roll, y/n?" b/f/n asks.

You sigh. "As I'll ever be."

B/f/n puts a hand on your shoulder. "Hey, I'm nervous about going up there, too, but after this, we never have to see high school again."

"Thanks," you say. "It's just that the 'going up there' part comes before the 'never seeing high school again' part."

"Oh, hey, that reminds me," b/f/n says. "Party at my place after. You'll be there, right?"

"That depends," Cole says from behind you. "Will there be cake?"

You jump and turn around to see Cole, with Kai, Zane, Jay, and Lloyd right behind him.

"Ohmygosh, the ninja!" b/f/n whisper-screams at you. "Best. Day. Ever!"

"Guys, this is my matchmaking friend, B/f/n," you say with a sigh. "I suggest you stay away from her if you don't want to be set up on a blind date in the near future."

Jay chuckles nervously. "Uh, thanks, but no thanks. I already have the best girlfriend in the world."

Cole swats his shoulder. "Wrong. I have the best girlfriend in the world."

"My girlfriend kicks butt!"

"My girlfriend can cook!"

You get between Jay and Cole and push them apart. "Take it easy, guys! This is graduation, not the Girlfriend Olympics. Let's just get along, okay?"

Cole shrugs. "Okay. Truce?"

Jay nods. "Truce. But Nya's still the best."

Cole opens his mouth to reply, but you stop him. "Don't bother. It's not worth it. Besides, if he didn't think he had the best girlfriend, I'd be kind of worried about their relationship." You stop and think about what you just said. "Oh, great, now I sound like b/f/n."

"It's fine," Cole chuckles. "And don't worry about the ceremony. We'll all be cheering for you, y/n."

"Thanks, Cole." You smile and hug him back.

B/f/n grabs your arm and tugs you toward the stage. "You're up, y/n!"

"Uh—but—" Someone pushes you up the steps to the stage as the principal calls your name.

You stumble toward the podium, where the principal shakes your hand and gives you a piece of paper. Loud cheering erupts from one section of the audience, and then you're walking off the opposite side of the stage. It's over. You've graduated.

Time seems to fly after that. It isn't long before the valedictorian finishes his speech, and the principal takes the microphone again.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this year's graduating seniors!" He announces. The students cheer and throw their hats in the air. You and b/f/n look at each other, shrug, and follow suit.