Getting Back Together

(Hello! Yes, as promised, I am back! Happy reading, Wattpadians!)

You're pulling a cake out of the oven when the back door to your bakery slams open. You plop the cake on the counter and turn around to glare at the person who just came in.

"Okay, first of all, rude-" you stop mid-sentence and grab a nearby frying pan. "You guys again?"

"Get her, men!" Captain Soto orders, raising his sword. The five pirates behind him also draw their swords. "What can one cooking pan do against six swords?"

"Well, since you ask, I can do this-" you slam the frying pan down on Captain Soto's sword, knocking it from his hands "-and this-" you duck a sword swing from one of the other pirates and smack the back of his knees with the edge of the frying pan, knocking him over "-and this!"

You turn around and brandish the frying pan menacingly. The pirate in front of you drops his sword and backs away from you until he hits the wall. You hold the edge under his chin and glance over your shoulder at a red-faced Captain Soto. "Want to keep going, or are you going to leave now?"

"Pirates never surrender!" Captain Soto roars. "Men, attack!"

You elbow the pirate you cornered with your frying pan in the stomach and turn to face the five pirates behind you. "Okay, then. Who's next?"

Three of the pirates turn around and run back out the door, leaving just Captain Soto, the guy you smacked in the knees, and the guy behind you.

"Come back!" Captain Soto roars. "Cowards!"

"Last chance to scram," you announce. Nobody moves. "Okay, then."

You find a rope (don't ask, you just happen to have one) and tie Captain Soto and his two crew members up on the floor. You're not sure what you're going to do with them yet, but one thing at a time.

You're busy frosting your freshly baked cake when Cole bursts through the door. "Y/n! Pirates are..." he trails off when he sees the three pirates tied up on the floor. "Did I miss something?"

"Yes," you say, feeling a bit annoyed. "These guys tried to kidnap me."

Cole looks back down at the pirates on the floor. "Did you seriously take on a whole crew of pirates?"

"Yep."

"All by yourself?"

"Yep." You set the frosting knife down and add, "And you'll notice that I won."

Cole stares at the pirates. "So you did. I guess I'll just...be leaving then. See you, y/n."

You watch him head for the door. A series of conflicting feelings washes over you: regret, longing, the same old stubbornness. As Cole reaches for the doorknob, you make the decision you should have made a long time ago.

"Cole, wait."

Cole doesn't turn around, but you can tell that he's listening. "What?"

"I...you and me..." you can't remember the last time you were this nervous around a boy. "Do you want to give us another shot?"

For a minute, Cole doesn't say anything. Then he turns back around and takes your hand. "I'd like that. And I promise not to eat any cake unless you give me permission this time around."

You laugh. "No, that was my fault. I should have labeled it, like you said."

"Really, it was my fault," Cole insists.

"No, it was definitely-oh, what the heck, it can be your fault if you want. We've lost too much time to waste any of it playing the blame game."

Cole grins and puts an arm around your shoulders. "I completely agree. What do you say we go out to dinner to celebrate?"

"I have a better idea," you reply. "Let's eat in. I have the perfect cake."