Fun and Games

You knock on the door of the monastery. A few seconds later, Cole opens it.

"Hey, y/n," he says.

"Hey, Cole," you answer. "What's up?"

"Jay's it!" Kai yells from upstairs.

Cole's eyes widen. "Oh, man, run!" He grabs your hand and pulls you into the living room.

"Why are we running?" you ask. Cole makes a shushing motion and ducks behind the couch. You scramble into hiding beside him as someone sprints down the stairs.

Footsteps enter the living room, stop, and then leave through the other door. Cole lets out a relieved sigh.

You lean over and whisper, "Okay, now why were we running?"

"We're playing Staff Tag"

"Staff Tag? What's that?" you ask.

Cole grins. "It's like regular tag, except you tag people by hitting them with a staff."

"I still don't follow," you say.

"Okay, so, the person with the staff—right now it's Jay—is it. Once he tags someone—"

"By hitting them with the staff, right?" you ask.

Cole nods. "See, you're catching on. Once he tags someone, he'll give them the staff, and then they're it until they tag someone else."

You nod slowly. "Okay, that sounds pretty simple."

"And there's a time limit. Whoever's it when time runs out has to do some sort of embarrassing thing we agreed on before starting the game."

"Okay," you whisper back. "So what's the punishment today?"

Cole snickers quietly. "Whoever loses has to wear a petticoat for the rest of the day."

You clamp both hands over your mouth to hold in your laughter. When you get control of yourself again, Cole asks, "So, do you want to play?"

"Yeah, sure," you say. "Sounds fun!"

"Okay, good." Cole pulls a staff out from behind his back and bops you gently with it. "You're it!"

"Hey, wait, what?" you ask.

Cole scrambles over the couch. "Jay tagged me while you were having your giggle fit. See you later!"

"Cole, come back here! I'm gonna get you for this!" you yell. Finally you sigh and pick up the staff. Since you're it, you might as well have some fun, right?

You tiptoe through the monastery until you find Sensei Wu meditating. You reach out as far as you can and tap his hat with the end of the staff.

Sensei Wu doesn't look up. "Is that a challenge, y/n?"

"Yep," you say, hoping you haven't just made a huge mistake. "You're it!" Then you drop the staff and run.