When You Like Each Other

You’re working your after-school job at a bakery in Ninjago City. You love it here—you get to bake cakes and pastries all day, and you really get to know the people who shop there. Plus, most people leave tips, which go into your bank account so you can open your own business someday.

You’re working the cash register when the door opens and the last person you want to see walks in.

C/g/n stalks up to the counter and gets right in your face. “I know what you’re doing,” she spits at you.

“Yes, I’m working in a bakery. Do you want a cake?” You’re confused, but C/g/n doesn’t need to know that.

“You know what I mean!” she snaps. “I know what you’re doing. Don’t play dumb with me.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” you tell her. Continuing in the role of dedicated employee, you add, “Maybe you’d like to try some pastries? We have Danishes, strudel, cannoli—”

C/g/n slams her hand down on the counter and screams, “Stay away from Cole!”

You stare at her incredulously. “That’s what this is about? You think I’m trying to steal your boyfriend? Cole and I are just friends.”

“Yeah, you’d love for me to believe that, wouldn’t you?” C/g/n shouts angrily. “I’ve seen the way you look at him!”

“I don’t—” you start, but C/g/n cuts you off.

“You’d steal him from me if you could! Don’t bother to deny it! If he gave you the chance, you’d take him from me!”

Sure, you like Cole a lot, maybe even in a more than friends kind of way. If he was single, you’d date him, but you’d never go behind C/g/n’s back. That’s just wrong, and besides, C/g/n was there first. You may go out with a lot of guys, but you would never steal someone else’s boyfriend.

You shake your head. “You’ve got it all wrong. Cole and I are just friends.”

“Yeah,” C/g/n snaps. “Right. I bet you’re just waiting for the right moment to take him all for yourself.”

That does it. You lean forward over the counter until your (eye color) eyes are level with C/g/n’s green ones.

“Listen to me,” you say in a dangerous voice. “I do a lot of things—talk back to adults, get lousy grades, date boys and then break their hearts—but I never go behind anyone’s back with their boyfriend. And stop talking about Cole like he’s some sort of trophy. He’s a person, and it’s his choice who he dates. Now, I’m trying to sell cake, so either buy something or get out.”

C/g/n screams a rude word in your face, then turns and runs out of the shop.

You shake your head and get ready to serve your next customer. “Some people…”

Cole’s POV

I haven’t been getting along with C/g/n very well lately. Ever since she met y/n, C/g/n has been acting clingy and possessive. I mean, she was a little possessive before, but I never really noticed it. Now, she won’t leave me alone. I can’t get away from her!

C/g/n won't stop asking me about y/n. Have I talked to y/n today? I haven’t been visiting y/n, have I? It’s frustrating! I keep telling her that y/n and I are just friends, but she won’t leave me alone.

I was a little surprised when C/g/n took off for a few hours this afternoon, but I didn’t really question it. I needed some time to think. I really like y/n, maybe as more than a friend. If I didn’t have a girlfriend, I’d ask her out in a heartbeat, but there’s no way I’m going behind C/g/n’s back. I guess the sooner I figure things out, the better—I know they don’t like each other, and I know that this could get ugly if I don't do something about it soon..

It’s almost dinner time, and C/g/n’s still not back. I’m stretched out on the couch, enjoying a free afternoon, when the door slams open and C/g/n walks in. I can hear her talking to one of her ‘friends’ on her phone.

“…and then, I’m not kidding, the little %$@# gets right in my face and thinks she’s going to tell me off. In front of the whole place! I don’t know what he sees in her. She’s such a—oh! Cole! I didn’t see you there!”

I fold my arms. “Who’s such a what?”

“Uh, (random girl’s name)? I’m gonna call you back.” C/g/n drops her phone into her purse. 

“Say again?”

“Who’s such a what?” I repeat.

“It’s not important,” she says quickly. “Hey, I bought the cutest shirt today. Want to see?”

Fine. I don’t have to talk about it now—I need to get my priorities straight first, anyway. But I can tell that there’s more going on here than C/g/n’s telling me, and I’ll figure it out eventually.