You Get Captured {Part IV}

You're left with nothing to do but stare out the broken window. You try shifting and scooting around, but Cole is still out cold and you're not strong enough to move him. You've finally thought of a way to escape, but you need Cole to be awake if you're going to try it.

The light from the window is fading again and you guessing that it's about sunset when Cole finally groans and sits up.

"Ow," he moans.

"Cole! Are you alright?" you say.

"What happened?" Cole asks.

"You've been unconscious for almost a whole day," you tell him.

Cole groans again and shakes his head. "The last thing I remember is Captain Soto hitting me with the wrong end of his sword."

"I'm just glad he didn't hit you with the right end," you tell him. "Oh, and Cole?" you add, looking over your shoulder.

"What?" Cole is looking in the wrong direction. You turn to look over your other shoulder.

"Cole."

"What?" Cole turned toward the sound of your voice, and now he's facing the wrong direction again. You sigh mentally and turn back around.

" Cole!"

"What?!" Cole is facing the wrong way again. This time, though, you wait for him to turn back around so you're both facing the same direction.

"See if you can help me scoot over to the window. There might be some pieces of broken glass we can use to cut the ropes."

"You're a genius, y/n!" Cole tells you. "I never would have thought of that."

It takes some awkward maneuvering and a few false starts, but you and Cole manage to scoot yourselves across the floor to the window. You slouch down as far as you can and carefully feel around on the floor.

After a minute, you find what you're looking for-a piece of glass from the broken window. You pick it up, flip it over, and start rubbing it on the ropes around your wrists. You slip and cut your fingers a few times, but finally you manage to cut through the rope.

You reach up and pull the big rope over your head, then scoot around and use the piece of glass to free Cole's hands. Then you untie your feet. You wince as your hands and feet start tingling. Your hands and feet fell asleep while you were tied up, so now you're feeling some pretty painful pins and needles.

After a few minutes, the tingling fades and you can stand up and walk around. You sigh with relief as you stretch your arms and legs.

"Now we've just got to get out of this room," Cole says.

"No problem," you tell him. "We'll go through the window. We just have to figure out how to get it open."

When you look more closely, you discover that the window doesn't open, so Cole knocks the rest of the glass out of the frame. You wince as the glass shatters on the floor and the street outside.

"Keep it down!" You whisper. Your nerves are wound tighter than a Constrictai's grip. It's getting pretty dark outside, and someone could come and check on you and Cole at any time.

"Relax," Cole whispers back. "I'm done now anyway."

You climb out of the window, making sure to avoid the shards of glass that are still stuck in the window frame. As you guessed earlier, the window opens into a narrow alley. The nearer end opens onto a quiet street-presumably the front of the building you just escaped from. The other end is a few hundred feet away, and you can see the faint glow of streetlights and hear cars passing by.

Cole climbs through the window after you, and you take a second to be grateful that you were on the ground floor. He hasn't said anything, but you can tell that Cole's still pretty dazed from when Captain Soto hit him. You definitely wouldn't want him trying to climb down the side of a building right now. Come to think of it, you can't climb down the side of a building either.

"Let's get out of here," Cole says softly. He stumbles a little, and you grab his arm to steady him. You pull your hand back when you feel something wet soaking through his sleeve.

"Cole," you whisper. "You got cut!"