Opening Your Business

"Well, today's the day," you say to yourself. You finally saved up enough money to lease a building for the bakery you've been planning to open. It's set up for baking, you have all the supplies you need, and there's even an apartment above the store area for you to live in. There's no way around it—it's time for you to start your own business. Today is scheduled to be your opening day.

Right now, you're in the back kitchen with b/f/n, baking pie and trying not to panic. "What if nobody comes? What if they all think my cooking is horrible? What if I mess something up?"

B/f/n, on the other hand, looks completely calm. "Relax, y/n," she says. "Think positive. I designed the best posters and hung them all over the place. Besides, if nothing else, you know Cole will buy something."

"What will this day be like, I wonder?" you sing to yourself, trying to absorb the Sound of Music vibes. Singing Confidence in Me is something you do when you're nervous. "What will my future be, I wonder?"

"Life is not a musical, y/n," b/f/n sighs.

"Yes it is," you respond. "You just have to sing along."

B/f/n shakes her head. "There are things I understand about you, y/n. Musicals are not one of them."

"Quiet, I'm rolling the piecrust," you order.

"Can I have some?"

"You may if you're quiet."

"Now you sound like your dad," b/f/n mutters under her breath.

You sprinkle flour over the piecrust you're working on and start rolling it out. "I heard that."

The next sound is the very loud crash of several large baking pans falling onto the floor. You start violently and glare at b/f/n.

"It wasn't me!" she protests. "That was Cole!"

Cole gives you a sheepish look. "Sorry." He grabs the pans and starts trying to stack them back on the counter he knocked them off of.

"Not there, in the sink," you sigh.

Cole thinks for a second, then facepalms. "Oh, right."

B/f/n raises her eyebrows. "It's a wonder he's allowed anywhere near kitchens anymore. Just teasing," she adds, gently nudging Cole on the shoulder.

"When did you get here, Cole?" you ask.

"Just now," Cole admits. "I was trying to surprise you."

"You succeeded," you laugh. "You scared me out of my mind, but you succeeded."

Cole leans against the counter and eyes your piecrust. "So, how's it going?"

B/f/n gives Cole a don't-you-dare-touch-my-piecrust look. "Well, other than y/n being on the verge of freaking out, and having to listen to her singing—just kidding!" she adds when you try to swat her with the rolling pin "—things are going pretty great."

"Pretty well," you correct.

"Whatever."

"Singing?" Cole asks. "I didn't know you could sing, y/n."

B/f/n sighs. "She's memorized pretty much every musical ever made."

"I knew that, I just didn't know she sang, too!" Cole grins and wraps his arms around you from behind. "Things look swell, things look great," he sings. You try to swat him, but he ducks out of the way. "Gonna have the whole world on a plate. We'll be swell, we'll be great..."

Well, why not? You start singing along with him. "I can tell, just you wait. That lucky star I talk about is due. Honey, everything's coming up roses for me and you."

B/f/n covers her ears and runs out of the store. "No! Save me from the dorkiness!"

"No piecrust for you!" you yell after her.

"Worth it!"

(The second song I used is "Everything's Coming Up Roses" from Gypsy, in case anyone was wondering.)