CHAPTER 19

Selena woke up in an abandoned house. It was dark and cold, the walls and floor seemed to be damaged and Selena noticed remains of a fire. She didn't know this place, but remembered, that she was inside Derek's mind and was suddenly sure, that this had been Derek's home. Selena got up from the cold floor and looked around.

"Derek? Scott?", Selena called and wasn't surprised, when nobody answered her. The only sound she could hear was the damaged wood under her feet, when she walked to the door. She slowly opened it and felt the cold wind embracing her. It was dark outside, but the moonlight enabled Selena to see the woods in front of her. Selena decided to look for Derek so she left the porch and slowly walked into the forest. Suddenly the sky darkened and the moonlight faded, leaving Selena in a complete darkness. Selena stopped in her tracks and she felt fear rising inside of her.

"Derek?!", she called again and spun around, hoping to see something. Anything. Suddenly there was a small noise, reminding Selena of wolves howling. The howling got louder with every passing second and it slowly turned into a threatening growling. Selena felt like a whole pack was surrounding her, ready to kill her. She shut her eyes and reminded herself, that this was not real. Taking deep breaths, her fear slowly faded, when she suddenly heard a small whisper.

"Selena." The howling and growling wolves were gone. Selena opened her eyes and noticed, that the sky was clear again, the moonlight giving her the ability to see the house and trees again. She turned around and saw a woman walking up to her. The moonlight made her skin seem pale, nearly making her shimmer in the darkness. She got closer and Selena was finally able to see her face and dark hair. The woman stopped right in front of Selena, when suddenly a familiar voice spoke.

"Mum." Selena averted her gaze from the woman to see Derek stepping out of the forest. He looked at Selena for a short moment before he walked up to his mother to hug her. The woman smiled and placed a hand on his cheek like a proud mother does. Selena thought it was nice to see Derek like that. Like a small child, wanting and needing the love from his mother, finally showing emotions. He was not that cold hearted like he acted to be.

"You know me.", Selena suddenly said and took a few steps closer. The dark-haired woman let her hand fall to her side again and turned her head to look at Selena.

"Yes, I am Talia. We know each other since you were a small child. You and Derek know each other as well, you will remember everything when you wake up. We don't have much time though, so please let me explain everything." Talia didn't need any more explanations, she knew exactly why Derek and Selena came to talk to her. Selena felt, like Talia had waited for this moment all along.

"I am so sorry that I had to take your memories, but we had to do it to protect Selena. I took the memory of every pack member, making them forget that I was pregnant. The only ones that knew that I was pregnant, was Lorraine Martin and your adoptive parents." While Selena kept her gaze on Talia, Derek kept looking between his mother and Selena. He seemed kind of nervous and Selena noticed how it affected her.

"Lorraine Martin foresaw that you would be born in the night of a lunar eclipse and I had to do everything to save your life. Joanna, your mother, was my midwife and she was not able to get children. She was also one of my closest friends and ally, and I knew she would be the only chance to keep you safe. She was not only a wonderful mother, but also a witch. She connected your power with the one of our family, which means that as long as the power of the alpha would be in our family, your power would be hidden. When Derek lost his power, yours appeared."

"My mother was a witch?", Selena asked surprised and wanted to hear more about that, knowing though, that there wasn't enough time to talk about everything.

"Yes, she was a servant of nature. Just like you are."

"Why did Selena have to leave, when her power was hidden?", Derek asked and took a step closer to his mother.

"Just look at her. Her bright blue eyes, her nearly white hair and her pale skin. It's the appearance of a goddess of the moon. It would have taken less than three weeks for other packs to find and kill her. Selena, listen to me. You have great powers but it comes with a price. You are able to take the power of a werewolf, but you have to pass it to another one. It's like magic. If it's there once, it can't be erased or destroyed. It's not your job to just take it from someone. It's your responsibility to keep a balance, to make sure that the magic won't be misused. As soon as you take the power of a wolf, another one has to get it."

"What happens, if I don't pass it on to another human?", Selena asked and thought that she would never be able to give those powers to any innocent human. Not, if they don't want it.

"If you will gather the powers inside of you, it will kill you." Talia took Selena's hands in hers and opened her mouth like she was about to say something, when suddenly they heard a voice echoing through the forest.

"Derek! Selena!" It was Scott. Selena knew that he was there to bring them back to reality.

"That's all you need to know, you will remember everything else." Talia formed her lips into a small smile and let Selena's hands fall to hug Derek. She turned to Selena and placed a hand on her cheek.

"I'm proud of the both of you. You two are a family now." Talia placed a small kiss on Selena's forehead and then disappeared into the forest. Selena looked after her, until Scott reached the two of them. Scott placed a hand on Selena's shoulder and suddenly, everything went black.