CHAPTER 23

Derek went up the stairs, placing Selenas bags down on the floor after he entered a room. Selena walked inside the room, her heart jumping in joy when she observed her new room. The walls were covered turquoise, from above the bed, white curtains with fairy lights were falling to the ground, making it look like a canopy bed. Opposite the grey bed, three pictures of the ocean and the forest decorated the wall. Right underneath them, two white easy chairs were placed on a grey carpet. Underneath a big window, a desk and a chair were placed with a dresser next to it.

"Lydia planned everything and Kira chose the furniture. Scott, Stiles and Isaac helped to paint the walls and everything.", Derek explained and Selena smiled a little, picturing Lydia commanding everyone.

"I love it. Thank you so much.", she said and picked up the bags from the floor, walking towards the dresser to put her few clothes in it. Derek left her alone in the room and Selena tried to take everything in while she put her belongings where she thought it was right. She went downstairs somewhat later and helped Derek to cook some lunch. Selena had never pictured Derek cooking or doing anything else normal and still felt a little bit weird around him. He was so self-contained that it was hard for her to see him as an actual human.

"Now that I live her legally, can I go back to school?", Selena asked when they sat at the big table together and ate the paste they had just cooked. Derek looked at her with raised eyebrows and took a sip of water before answering.

"You want to go back to school voluntary?", he asked and looked kind of amused. Selena shrugged her shoulders, asking herself if it wasn't normal for supernatural creatures to want a normal life. Did Derek even go to school? Probably not, she thought.

"Yeah, I mean I want to graduate and go to college. Or maybe not, who knows. But at least I want a normal daily life, have the same opportunities like all other teenagers.", she said and suddenly remembered the list she had written with Stiles. Thinking of Stiles, she instantly felt a sharp pain in her chest. Selena wasn't exactly sure what was worse. That she missed Stiles, or that she still felt hurt about this kiss she couldn't even remember much. Which was the point why she felt hurt in the first place.

"Fine, we'll go and register you then tomorrow.", Derek said and Selena nodded forcing herself to smile while she played with the fork in her hand.

"What's going on with you and Stiles? I thought you liked him.", Selena heard Derek say and looked up to him, looking like a small kid that had just been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

"I do.", she mumbled and put a noodle inside her mouth, thinking if Derek was the right one to talk about Stiles to. Maybe one of the girls would have been a better choice for that.

"Why are you ignoring him then?", Derek asked and looked certainly confused, putting down the fork.

"Because he kissed me."

"And... you didn't want that?", Derek asked again, trying really hard to find any sense in the words of the girl. He already felt overstrained in that moment and tried to remember what it was like to be a brother or what it was like when Laura tried to be a good big sister.

"No. I mean, yes. Just... not like that. I mean, he just did it to calm me down when I totally freaked out. Which worked by the way, but still. I can't even remember it properly and now I'll always think that my first kiss with him was this pity kiss which I can't even remember. I just... I wanted him to kiss me because he likes me, not to prevent a panic attack.", Selena explained and saw how Derek nodded in understanding, obviously proud that he was finally able to follow her thoughts.

"Okay, look. Stiles is weird but I mean, he's a good guy and he really likes you. I don't think he wanted to hurt you, he just wanted to help and sometimes he just doesn't think before he acts. So if you like him, just talk to him ok. I mean he is one of the only people here you can actually talk to and who listens." Derek muttered the last part, thinking of Isaac and Scott and suddenly feeling relieved that out of them, Selena choose Stiles. Stiles was annoying but he at least knew what he was doing. Selena nodded, knowing that Derek probably was right. She could either get up the courage to tell him how she felt, or she could keep walking around with that heavy feeling in her chest.

"Derek, can you drive me to his house?"