xiv: elemental infusion

Kim Jaehyung ended up teaching Jeongsuk about his elemental powers in the next hour. To his annoyance, Jeongsuk quickly understood and memorised all of the content more quickly than he could have ever thought possible.

To his surprise, it turned out that Jeongsuk had a photographic memory that hadn't been mentioned in the novel. Or, at least, that was what he said anyway.

It embarrassed Jaehyung to a point. Jeongsuk already knew his place around the main corridors of the palace and yet, he has led him, unbeknownst that there was a guide that was far better than him.

Thankfully, Jeongsuk didn't mind.

Jaehyung led him to the training grounds and both of them proceeded with their warm-ups.

"Seeing how much the students of the program are disappointed with you, I shall see and analyse what makes them feel so," he said, as they finished their run.

"S-sure!" Jeongsuk looked nervous.

"We'll do a light spar," he said. "Use your light element to infuse your sword with power."

Jeongsuk closed his eyes and the sword he had beamed out with incandescent light. Jaehyung looked at it and turned away, shaking his head.

"That's too weak," he proclaimed, voice icy. "Do it again."

The hero looked confused, "Why?" he asked. "I thought it was good. The others didn't seem to make any comments, either. The weakest elemental blade in the class was Damon."

The others. He must mean the other students at the program.

He laughed, "Weakest?" He stared at Jeongsuk's sword. "Perhaps you should listen to me, Seo Jeongsuk."

"Elemental infusion has nothing to do with how flashy it is, as your one is. Take mine for example-"

He closed his eyes and willed the shadows to infuse into the sword he was holding. An echo tickled in the back of his mind and suddenly he felt energy course through him.

He held out his sword to Jeongsuk, who looked even more confused. "Is this meant to be an example of bad elemental infusion?" He asked. "It's like Damon's but more harder to see."

"Very well then," he said, impressed with this Damon person. "If you are convinced this is meant to be a bad example then let us fight."

They both bowed down to each other, getting ready for their spar. "I will give myself a handicap," Jaehyung said. "How about I only use one hand for the whole spar?"

"Okay," Jeongsuk said. "If that is what you want."

He could feel the eyes of someone watching them. Jaehyung didn't turn to look, simply focusing on the fight.

Jeongsuk charged towards him, swinging his sword down on Jaehyung. How slow, he thought, rearing back to bring his sword to meet Jeongsuk's. A loud clang reverberated across the clearing. Jeongsuk slightly lost some grip on his sword.

"Again."

Very well, Jaehyung thought, amused. Jeongsuk ran towards him again, a determined glint in his eyes. He raised his sword to jab at his right side, where there seemed to be an opening left unattended by him. Jaehyung quickly blocked the attack without moving once from his spot on the ground.

The two clashed swords, Jaehyung on the receiving end of Jeongsuk's attacks. However, what made it all the more interesting was that Jaehyung never took at least more than three steps back.

"Again!" Jeongsuk said, frustrated when he could not once break Jaehyung's defence.

"This will be the last." Jaehyung said and Jeongsuk nodded.

He charged towards Jaehyung, his sword lifted in the air. However, before Jeongsuk could process it, Jaehyung swung at Jeongsuk's sword and the sword slipped from Jeongsuk's fingers and tumbled mid-air before landing on the ground in front of the person who was watching them.

The stranger clapped his hands, "What an amazing elemental infusion."

"Ah! Damon you were watching us?"

"Indeed," Damon said, the tips of his lips turning upwards. "I've heard the genius of the Kim family has just arrived."

He bowed down in respect to Jaehyung, "A pleasure to meet you, Mr Kim."

"Of course," Jaehyung said. "I've heard about you from Jeongsuk."

"I already know most of it," Damon said. Perched on his shoulder was an eagle staring at Jeongsuk with its beady eyes. It cocked it's head to the side as it met eyes with Jaehyung and let out a shrilling caw.

"Why did your sword seem so light!" Jeongsuk asked, amazed.

"From his elemental infusion of course." Damon said, ruffling the eagles' feathers. "You have been doing it wrong these past few days, Jeongsuk. You cannot have a sword like that in battle. It will wear and hold you down."

"Really?" Jeongsuk asked. "I thought mine was doing okay but now that I've seen Jaehyung's demonstration, it seems that I thought wrong."

"His elemental infusion is far more superior to yours." Damon said.

Jaehyung sighed, shaking his head. "Jeongsuk," he said, "What you are doing to your sword affects your whole ability to wield it."

He drew back and brandished the sword he was holding in front of them, "Elemental infusion requires balance. Adding too much affects the sword as much as it affects the elemental infusion too."

His sword suddenly had particles of dark energy shadowing it. It looked like Jeongsuk's demonstration of his elemental infusion, except in a different element.

"This is what you did to your own sword," Jaehyung said. "Now I'll demonstrate." He swung his sword to his side and twirled it around. "Although it may not seem like it, the sword is considerably heavier." He threw it to Jeongsuk who caught it clumsily, flinching slightly.

Jeongsuk began to swing the sword around in concentration, before stopping as Jaehyung held out a hand. Jeongsuk immediately handed back the sword to him without a word. It seemed like his bodyguard was finally getting used to his personality.

"Now, I'll demonstrate with a better technique of elemental infusion," Jaehyung focused on the infusion, waiting until he put the exact amount of elemental power he wanted. He slashed at the air before handing it to Jeongsuk, who looked relieved that he didn't throw it to him this time.

Jeongsuk had a look of astonishment as he began to use the sword, "It really is easier to use!" he said, amazed. "How awesome!"

"Elemental infusion isn't as hard as many people make it seem," Jaehyung said. "I'll teach you how to do it like I did. With your photographic memory, I suppose it shouldn't be too complicated."

"My memory doesn't exactly work like tha-"

"I think it's about time that classes should start," Damon interrupted, stealing Jaehyung's attention. "I suppose the rest of the students at the program are very excited to see you."

"More like assess his abilities," Jeongsuk muttered.

Damon raised his arm up and the eagle let out a shrill caw as it lifted up into the air and began to fly away.

Jaehyung smiled, a dark twinkle in his eyes.