xlviii: memory

The small space of Jeongsuk's house felt like it suffocated Jaehyung. He didn't know what to feel, didn't know what to say. Why did he feel so weak?

Footsteps creaked and the door opened to reveal an Evangeline. She looked positively exhausted, her eyes rimmed red, dark bags under her eyes.

"How is Damon's condition?" Jeongsuk asked.

"Loss of memory," Evangeline said, shaking her head. It looked like she had been crying. "Jaehyung, do you remember how he called our names when we first found him?"

After he gave her a nod, she continued on, "Well now it seems as if he's forgotten us. Forgotten what happened."

"It must be temporary, right?" Yuna asked, her legs crossed as she sat on the couch. She still seemed agitated with their argument prior to Evangeline's appearance.

"I hope so but at this point, Doctor Klaus said it may take some time for his memories to resurface. It appears to be the cause of psychological trauma."

"That's tragic," murmured Jeongsuk softly. "He was meant to graduate this year too."

Evangeline laughed nervously, "We both were."

Silence ensured in the household. The thoughts whirled in Jaehyung's head, spinning his mind out of control.

"How did you both get kidnapped?" he asked Evangeline.

"The world became distorted for me after my watch broke," said Evangeline. "Then suddenly I was falling down a waterfall. Damon happened to get caught up in the mess. Now, look where we are now."

"Was it a hallucination?"

Evangeline shook her head, her hand clasped tightly as if she was nervous. "No... no definitely not a hallucination. It felt like I was brainwashed to fall off the waterfall."

"Brainwashed?" How? It couldn't be possible. It wasn't real in this world. Hallucinations were the closest thing to brainwashing in this world. Or at least, it should be.

"The questions are endless," muttered Yuna. "Look, I doubt we're going to find some lead if we ponder too much. The only clue to this is Toshiro."

"He had destruction powers," said Jeongsuk. "Exactly like Jaehyung's. It caught me off guard because he was meant to be an Earth user."

"To think Toshiro is behind this," muttered Jeongsuk. "He was one of the friendliest people in the program."

"He's a backstabbing lying son of a bitch that's what he is," seethed Yuna. "I've called for a warrant for him. He's a wanted man now. The whole world will be looking for him."

True to Yuna's words, the news on the television completely focused on Toshiro. Jaehyung almost felt sorry for him. He had forgotten the incredible influence that his family had.

"You have to watch out though," warned Yuna. "Brother, your face has been leaked along with mine. Our whole family is exposed to the world now. At this rate, we're a walking target."

"It was bound to happen at one point," said Jaehyung. He looked up at the ceiling, exhausted. "How long were we missing for?"

Nobody said anything for a moment. Yuna got up from the couch, her watch blinking. "It's been three months."

Three months?

"The Academy-"

"Next week," said Yuna. "Next week begins the start of second term. If it wasn't for our investigation team, we would have never found you."

Jaehyung fell silent. No wonder it felt so long. He spent three months trapped and confined in such a space? The thought began to make him furious.

Pain began burning on the back of his skull and he realized that Yuna slapped the back of his head. "Stop worrying brother," she said. "You might be feeling angry but those feelings aren't going to help you. Grow stronger. Show the world what it means to be part of our family."