38: Kei Tsukishima - When It's Gone

Requested bysondercoyfish

 Yamaguchi, Kei and I had been friends since elementary school, and we always hung out together. When we entered middle school the two boys started playing volleyball properly, competing in matches with other middle schools. I was always their number one supporter, not just because they were both my best friends but because I had grown to have an incredibly big crush on Kei.

It was fair to say I was head over heels for him, my feelings having run away from me slightly. He was smart, funny and talented, as well as good-looking. I found it hard not to fall for him, and he seemed to care about me also which made me feel warm inside. I'd attend each of their games and cheer for him loudly as he was usually on the starting lineup, unlike Yamaguchi who was occasionally swapped in. After each and every match I'd congratulate him massively, whether it was a win or a loss, and tell him how great he was. I'd always want to spend as much time with him as possible so we'd hang out together during break times, I'd watch him practice in the evening, I'd walk home with him and I'd ask him to tutor me on subjects I didn't actually need any help with.

"Kei!" I called over to him when I saw him emerging from the clubroom with Yamaguchi by his side. "Hey! You both played excellently today!" I complimented brightly.

"Thanks (y/n)!" Yamaguchi beamed brightly, but Kei just let out a 'hmph'.

"So have you guys decided what high school you're going to yet?" I asked eagerly, wanting to know where he was going before I made my choice. Originally I thought about Aoba Johsai, but I wanted to go wherever Kei was going as I knew I'd miss him too much.

"Yeah, Karasuno," Kei said, his hands in his pockets as the three of us began to walk home.

"That's where your brother went, isn't it?" I asked and he nodded.

"What about you?" Kei asked and I smiled, making up my mind right there and then.

"Well I had originally thought about Seijoh, but I know you two will miss me too much so I'll go to Karasuno as well! How amazing is that, we'll all be together," I beamed at the two of them and Kei scoffed.

"I'm just glad I'm going somewhere were I already know people," Yamaguchi sighed in relief making me chuckle. I knew he had slight difficulty when talking to new people.

"And you're going to join the volleyball team there?" I asked and the pair nodded. "That's great! I can't wait to support the both of you," I said with a smile, clapping my hands together.

"I doubt we'll be starters, we'll be first years after all," Kei said and I pouted.

"But you're blocks will probably be the best on the teams! If they don't have you on the starting lineup, they'd be a little stupid," I said with a humph. "Plus I don't doubt you'll be the tallest on the team!"

"Whatever," Kei said carelessly, the bell then ringing signalling next class.

- Timeskip -

Since joining Karasuno, the three of us had grown to be a little more mature. I had received a little bit of attention from various boys in our class, however Kei's tall physic and naturally intimidating aura always seemed to scare them away. I liked to think he was purposefully trying to protect me and one or two times I really did wonder whether that was the case, as he'd sometimes appear and ask the guy what he thought he was doing.

Still, it wasn't long before everyone realised that I had feelings for Kei. It wasn't as if it was a secret, but I was beginning to feel a little downtrodden as he hadn't shown any signs of reciprocating my feelings. Despite showing none of these signs, he never told me that he wasn't interested so I decided to keep up my flirtatious behaviour in an effort to woo him.