44: Yuu Nishinoya - Confidence

Note: That header makes me cry with happiness.

Requested byawkward_weebasaurus

 "Yuu, our parents are not going to be happy," eight-year-old me said to my best friend, Yuu Nishinoya, as I looked down at our mud-stained clothes.

"Pfft, I can take my parents shouting," he boasted but I knew he was lying.

"Oh yeah, Mr Scaredy-Cat?" I teased, poking him in the ribs.

"I'm not a scaredy-cat!" He exclaimed, blushing brightly.

"So I guess you didn't squeal like a girl when you saw that beetle earlier today, or the other day when the dog came running up to us-,"

"Shut up! They just... surprised me!" He said, running ahead.

"Wait, Yuu!" I called out to him, laughing and running to catch up. When we arrived at our respective homes we did indeed get told off but I didn't mind - being best friends with Yuu Nishinoya was an adventure. Everyday we were at each others houses or out together after school. We played together, laughed together and grew up together. I met him when we started school, him immediately seeking me out although I wasn't sure why. We clicked perfectly and it wasn't long before we were inseparable. We joked around with each other, had immense fun together and he was the closest person in my life.

As time went on the two of us of course grew up, but we were still never apart. I helped him with libero training as that was the official position he began to play in junior school, and the two of us applied to Karasuno although I was originally going to attend Aoba Johsai. "Please come to Karasuno (y/n)!" Yuu whined, the two of us sat up in my room.

"Why?" I whined.

"Because I'll miss you if you don't come to high school with me! It'd be like a part of my soul had just vanished!"

"There's another motive Yuu, but I can't tell what it is," I stared at him, trying to read him or at least pressure him into telling me.

"Fine! I want to see you wear the cute girls uniform, it's adorable! It'd look so good on you! Please (y/n)!" His begging continued not just that night but many days to come until I finally gave in, admitting that it would be weird to attend a high school where there was no hyper-active Yuu.

"Will you be joining the volleyball team?" I asked him as we walked to the headmasters office to hand in our high school forms.

"Of course, I'll be the star player," he pointed at his chest proudly.

"Well you definitely were here," I said the truth. "But hasn't Karasuno's volleyball team gone a little... south? Since that coach left?"

"Well I'm going to be the one to make them a powerhouse school again, they can count on me!" He said excitedly.

"I don't doubt it," I laughed. We handed in our forms to the headmaster, me bowing politely. I had to elbow him to force him into doing the same, his usually stubborn attitude to academics shining through.

"What will you do in high school?" He asked as we left the office.

"I'll be busy trying to force you into actually doing some homework. I'll make you get good grades Yuu, if it's the last thing I do," I said, determined, but he just burst out laughing making me roll my eyes.

"Why don't you become the manager of the volleyball team?" He exclaimed excitedly.

"Because I'm certain they already have a more than capable volleyball manager."