36

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

"Sir Matteo," Chantal said on the phone. "He's now here. Shall I let him in?"

At last! I've been waiting for the detective I hired to look for Tanya.

"Yes, let him in." I said, before I turned to the Purchasing Director that I was having a meeting with.

"Sorry, I just have another urgent meeting. Could we just go have a working lunch?" I asked Geraldia Guillermo.

"Sure. No problem." She beamed at me, seemingly happy that I invited her out for lunch, but I brushed off my observation.

She took her bag, and went out of my room, but took a glimpse of me again, and smiled. I know when a woman is interested in me, and I know that she is. And, if I were just the old Matteo, I would have not just taken her out for lunch. I would even screw her right here, right now. But, I don't know what changed in me, after I met Tanya. It's like I started to really feel. Unfortunately, I did not only start to experience what it feels like to fall in love. I also felt anguish, loneliness, sadness, fear of loss, and depression ever since I woke up and found out that Tanya disappeared.

"Please tell me, Gerard. What happened to Tanya? Why can't you tell me where she is?" I was feeling frustrated when I came to the Philippines and met with Gerard and Shayla.

"I'm sorry Matt. I really don't know where she is, but Mom assured me that Tanya is in a safe place." Gerard told me.

Feeling desperate, I stood up from the seat in their veranda and raised my voice. "I don't understand. Why can't you tell me where my wife is? I am her husband and I have the right to know where my wife is!" I demanded as I was on the verge of flying into a rage.

"Matt!" Shayla stood up to stop me; but Gerard dangerously stepped between me and her.

"Matteo, control your anger." Gerard gravely said. "We are not your enemy here. Your enemy is right inside your own home."

"What?" I got even more confused.

"Do you know why we ourselves don't know where Tanya is? It's because the elders deemed it necessary to keep that information from everyone to protect Tanya from Isabella, who you sired a son with!"

"Honey!" Shayla bit her lip and held on to Gerard's arm.

"Even if I have a son with Isabella, it doesn't mean I won't protect my wife from harm!" I said in defense.

"Well, you sure failed to do that last year! You weren't able to protect her from Isabella." Gerard sarcastically said.

I looked at him grimly. "You're right." I said. "I wasn't able to protect her—THAT WAS BECAUSE I WAS FUCKING COMATOSE!" I raised my voice and pushed him in anger.

Gerard grabbed me by the shirt, and was about to hit me, but Shayla stepped in the middle.

"Enough! Pls stop! Both of you!" Shayla shouted, and turned to me. "Matt, please... this is all we can say to you. We really don't know where she is. And, if we knew, you know we would tell you! " Shayla pleaded for understanding, while Gerard and I were still gripping each other's shirts.

I released Gerard from my grip, and so did Gerard. I placed my palms on my face in resignation; and sat on the chair to rest my elbows on my legs. I was almost going to break down.

"I'm so worried about Tanya. I have this feeling that Tanya was pregnant, while I was comatose." I broke down. "I want to know where my wife is. I want to know why she left me... what did I do wrong? Why did she leave me?"