26

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

I went to our ancestral home and my younger brothers immediately oriented me that Shayla, who we call as Milena, didn't have any idea that her mom was in a critical condition now. What she only knew was that her husband, Gerard, wanted to stay in Brazil until she would give birth.

"Where is she now?" I asked Marcus, my twin brother.

"She's making our house a home, with all those girly stuff she's doing. Our baby sister is really a welcome addition to our family, well, aside from Isabella..." Marcus happily said. "Both Milena and Isabella are pregnant! I told Milena we're going to have two of the rooms renovated for the coming of the babies in our home. I just don't know why Isabella hasn't communicated with us yet. I wonder where she is..."

I clenched my jaw and my thoughts trailed off at remembering Isabella. She has not been home for one month already, and I was very worried for her unpredictable behavior of recent.

As soon as her father's men dropped us off here in our ancestral home, I spoke to her, but she didn't want to agree with my proposal, and left without telling me where she went.

"Isabella, is it true that I am the father of the child you are carrying?" I confronted her, but she remained quiet as she was seated on the sofa, facing me.I repressed my impatience. "Tell me, Isabella. Tell me, so I can help you." I calmly pleaded.

She shook her head. "I... I'm very confused right now, Matteo." She almost said in a whisper, as tears fell from her eyes.

"What's confusing you? You said I am the father of your child. Is it true? Pls tell me, so that I can help you. I want to help you."

"How are you going to help me? Are you going to help me raise this baby?"

"Of course."

" Papo-furado!" She tapped her chin with the back of her hand. "Marriage is for two people who love each other, and I know you don't' love me!"

"Yes, but you said that I am the father of your child..." I raised my arms in gesture. "What do you want me to do? You know I would accept my responsibility especially that you are family to me! You're my sister!"

"I am not your sister!" She hissed as she held her index finger up and waggled it from side to side. "You treat me like one, but I'm not! I want you to love me as a lover, not a sister!" She said flaring her arms. "If I can't have the guy I want, then I want you."

I clicked my tongue and shook my head. "That's insane and an incest! Don't toy with me, Isabella! Not me. Why don't you just go for Marcus who looks exactly like me?"

"He is not you." She shouted and walked out on me, slammed the door of her room, and locked it, preventing me from following her inside.

"Oh, come on, Isabella! You know that I cannot do that to you. I cannot see you as a lover, because I treat you as a sister..."I raised my voice, wanting her to understand me.

I sighed as I leaned on the door. It has been truly a stressful week for me, and I was feeling exhausted. But, instead of staying home, I decided to go to office to check on all my pending work. I wanted to bury myself with all the things I have to do, to get away from my current concern. I still havent told Papai about my situation with Isabella.

I didn't want to, in truth, because I didn't want to settle down with Isabella, rude I may sound. This made me feel bad even more, because I didn't want to hurt Isabella's feelings, but what can I do? She was asking me something that I don't even know how I could give her. She told me she wanted me to love her as a lover... as a wife. Heaven knows, I wanted to grant her request. I wanted to try to love her, but try as I might, there was just no amativeness that I could feel for her. I only saw her as a sister. Nothing else.