two

"oh my gosh, please stop fucking working out. your muscles are making you hea- heavier!" yeosang said as he plopped his best friend onto the small bed he owned. yeosang looked down at san in disappointment, shaking his head at the drunk male.

"yeosangie~" san slurred. yeosang rolled his eyes at san's words, "yes, san?"

"look what i got~!" san happily flipped his medium sized pouch upside down. yeosang's eyes widened at the amount of things that poured out of that pouch.

yeosang rummaged through the objects, "just- just how many did you steal?" 

san shrugged and flopped back onto his bed, "i dunno. i saw pretty stuff then i just stole 'em! it's not my fault my hands didn't listen to my head. oh wait- my head told them to do it!"

yeosang shook his head. "seriously, san... this isn't good."

san, suddenly all sobered up, sat up and stared blankly at his best friend, "what do you mean it's not good? i'm just stealing so that we could pay our rents, so that we could pay for something to eat, so that we could have our heaters working in the winter. i'm stealing for our own good, yeo. plus, why do they get to-"

"enjoy life when we need to scrape money off them just to eat? yes, i know. i know that you're doing this for us, san, but stealing- stealing is illegal." yeosang rubbed his temples with his thumb. 

san really wasn't feeling that drunk. he honestly wasn't. to be completely honest, this was one of his best days in the entire month. he would sometimes just lose all memories of the night and had to use the stolen goods to remind himself of what he did. and sometimes, san would just remember everything and even remember some of the people he stole from. 

but this was nothing new. san stealing from the riches, i mean. it's been pretty much what he's done ever since he turned ten. he was a middle school drop out and never had the chance to receive higher education like yeosang.

"but you, my friend, are studying law." a little smirk started to reveal itself on san's face. yeosang took a glance at his friend's sly expression and he quickly looked away.

"doesn't mean you could break the fucking laws." yeosang retorted.

san pouted, "but you could always just save me, couldn't you! plus, you could always bail-"

"i can't bail you out, san." yeosang muttered. san stopped talking, closed his mouth and let out a frustrated grunt.

"fuck, how could i forget. i'm sorry, yeo." san apologised, patting his best friend on the back.

yeosang sighed. he stood up from san's bed, patted his best friend's thigh and smiled weakly, "get some sleep, yeah?"

with that, yeosang stepped out of san's bedroom, closing the door behind him. san's gaze lowered in shame. how could he forget? how could he just let that slip off his tongue just like that? 

"you're so stupid." san muttered under his breath, his back hitting the mattress and stared up at the ceiling. he lifted his left arm up and glared at the date on the inside of his wrist.

24TH OCT 2030

"it's three days from now." san whispered, "where are you, soulmate?"

with that thought in mind, san slowly drifted into dream land. 

maybe we should explain to you how this whole 'soulmate' thing works. you get a date on the inside of your non-dominant hand ever since you were born. the date indicates when you meet your soulmate. normally, your soulmate would be the first person you talk to on that date, different scenarios had happen before, but that's the most common way of knowing who's your soulmate. it's also been pretty much confirm the tattoo you have on the inside of your wrist would itch so badly when you meet your soulmate. and that's how you know you've met your soulmate.

hence why the society now is so messy and chaotic. people know they have to survive, in a way, until they have reached the date when they meet their soulmate. that means they would steal, fight and even kill to make sure they survive.

as harsh as reality is, you couldn't change who you are. some of the poorest people in society just gave up their chances of reaching the date and let themselves die instead. it wasn't like they had a choice whether to die or not, not when everything in the world is too overpriced for anyone in poverty to afford.

his family was never rich, but they were always happy. you would pass by the tiny apartment the choi's owned and always hear laughter coming from within. that all ended when san turned ten years old, when his parents died within a matter of two days and with his grandmother kicking him out as well, he was forced to live on the streets in poverty. 

yeah, it was tough.

a few years later when he was fourteen, he met yeosang. yeosang came from a rather rich family and his family had always wanted their only son to be a lawyer. just so that even if they weren't super rich, they would be highly respected only because yeosang is a lawyer. and lawyer get high wages. that's honestly the only reason why lawyers and doctors were highly respected: because they have money.

when yeosang met san, he pitied san. and san being san, he hated being pitied. he hated having rich people looking down on him because he's a fourteen years old in poverty. it's not like he's the only one or the youngest one. there were tons of children — actual children — in poverty and yet he gets the pity and attention? pathetic.

but as yeosang started visiting san more frequently, san figured out yeosang wasn't like the other rich people. he enjoyed law, yes, but he didn't want to be a lawyer just to be respected. he wanted to be a lawyer to help those in need. one night, yeosang and san travelled up to one of seoul's hills and just sat there for the entire night. they chatted about themselves and their future. and yeosang specifically said he didn't want money. he only wanted to help those poor people who always lose in the court just because they couldn't afford a good lawyer.

"i'll be the first lawyer in seoul that needs only a client's 'thank you' as a payment." yeosang said proudly that night, "i'll be that."

unfortunately, someone overhead the two's conversation that night and reported back to the kang family. yeosang was then immediately kicked out of the family. yeosang didn't mind, of course. it wasn't like he loved his family til death. 

and while san keeps on stealing things and yeosang hated it, yeosang had to admit it was basically the only way they could survive in this horrible world. the jewelleries and black cards san steals probably cost more than they could ever imagine. and that helped them so much in so many ways.

this is their reality. only that they didn't know it would be changed so drastically just three days later.