thirteen

san went out with yeosang to their weekly hang out the next morning, leaving wooyoung alone at the apartment. he sighed, most of his days were spent like this: staying at home, watching some tv, crackling at some youtube videos, and then waiting for san or yeosang or both to come back from their respective duties.

wooyoung had asked yeosang about the jobs assassins were paid to do in seoul. he knew all about where to find jobs in busan, but he's just a lost killer in seoul not knowing where to find jobs to do. and so, he decided to dial probably the only one who actually knew seoul and was not yeosang.

"i'm assuming you're calling because you are bored out of your guts." seonghwa muttered. wooyoung chuckled and smiled, "yup! bingo, hyung. now, tell me. where do i find jobs?"

seonghwa laughed lowly, "it isn't as easy to find them as they are in busan, woo. i know people who knows people, but they don't know you and they don't like that. i can tell you who they are, just promise not to kill them if they don't give you jobs."

wooyoung rolled his eyes, "when have i ever?"

"uh, four years ago? ring any bell?" seonghwa asked sarcastically. obviously, the older didn't want to remind the younger of the harsh days after his mother died. it was especially hard for wooyoung in the first few months of losing his mother. but he eventually got over it, just like everyone else who got over those who died. 

"don't."

"i'm sorry. anyways, i'll text you the names and addresses. also, piece of advice, find a day job or something so your little boyfriend doesn't suspect you, yeah?" wooyoung heard the older sigh on the other side. seonghwa was worried for him, he knew that. but seonghwa really had nothing to worry about wooyoung. if he could survive seven years without anyone looking after him, he could look after himself at seoul.

"hyung," wooyoung started, "i already found a job."

seonghwa gasped, "really? what kind of job is it?"

wooyoung grinned. seonghwa might seem cold and unbothered on the outside, but when it comes to the wellbeing of the friend he had met when they were both at their lowest, he'd show his kind and giving side to wooyoung. and it was only to wooyoung as well since no one dared to come close to him because of the aura he gives off.

"it's just a chef in this diner. i'm actually surprised they hired me. i knew my cooking was better than average, but, hyung, this diner- this diner is one of the best in seoul, apparently!" 

seonghwa didn't need to see wooyoung to know that the younger's eyes must be sparkling as they were speaking. seonghwa was so happy for wooyoung, it even brought a little rare smile on his face. he had watch the boy grow up ever since he lost his mother and was almost like a big brother to him. to see that wooyoung now not only has a job — even if it was a fake one it still counts — but to also have met his soulmate and is now dating them was probably the best thing that ever happened to seonghwa.

seonghwa's life wasn't easy. he grew up in an orphanage after his parents threw him on the doorstep right after he was born. he didn't meet a lot of friends, but he did have one: kim hongjoong. gosh, that small boy was everything seonghwa had when he was young. they both hated the orphanage and once they turned six, the two boys escaped from that hell hole.

they both had stole some money from the orphanage and also had stole some food in the markets. although they couldn't afford an apartment to live in, they still managed to find little hide outs to stay for a night or two before moving on to another one. for once in their miserable lives, they were happy. the two boys would have smiles on their faces even if they had starved and hadn't showered in days; all because they have each other.

but seonghwa's only source of happiness went dead when he was eleven years old. by then, seonghwa was already an assassin that kept on getting new jobs due to his immaculate skills. he would earn enough money for hongjoong and him to eat for weeks and buy new clothes and at one point, they could even afford an apartment. no one was surprised at kids buying apartments anymore, it was just the consequence of having such a fucked up society.

seonghwa left hongjoong to sleep in their newly bought apartment that night when he went to assassinate one of the biggest drug dealers in seoul: lee seokyong. he made sure everything was locked before going out and smiled at hongjoong's sleeping state. the younger of the two always looked so peaceful when he was sleeping. and that made seonghwa hopeful. hopeful that maybe one day, when they grow old, they would be together forever. it doesn't matter if they weren't each other's soulmates, they found comfort and happiness in each other, and that's all it mattered.

however, when seonghwa came back to the apartment at 4 in the morning, he found the bed in hongjoong's room empty and the window wide open. the curtains were flying all around due to the strong wind and the bed sheets were messy, almost like someone kidnapped hongjoong. so seonghwa panicked. he went through every alley, every street, every store, every town in the near proximity of seoul, but he still couldn't find the boy he was in love with.

eventually, seonghwa gave up. he didn't want to, hell, of course he didn't want to. but there was no hope. there was simply no way he could find hongjoong especially when he checked every single corner of seoul, everywhere he knew kidnappers were active. he just couldn't find hongjoong. 

and that's when he said goodbye to seoul. yes, it did help him remember hongjoong, but it was too painful, too unbearable for seonghwa to be living in his own guilt of not making sure everything was locked before he left the apartment that night. seonghwa knew deep down that everything was locked and that it wasn't his fault, but he just couldn't help but think what if he didn't go assassinate that goddamned drug dealer that night? what if he decided to stay with hongjoong for the night? would the smaller boy be in his arms tonight? would they fall in love?

too many fantasies for a dead future would haunt seonghwa if he decided to stay in seoul. so he went down to busan, and that's when he met wooyoung. 

"hyung, were you even listening?" wooyoung's voice snapped the silver-haired male back to reality. he reached up to wipe the pathetic tears falling down and shook his head, patting his cheek a couple times to rid himself of thoughts of hong— his past.

"no, i'm s-sorry, woo. what were you saying?" his voice cracked and he mentally cursed himself for that. so much for hiding his feelings from people.

wooyoung went silent for a moment, frowning and worried for his best friend, "are you okay, hyung?" the annoyance of the older boy not listening him fading away and the worry started flowing in. he knows that seonghwa had a tough past. seonghwa never told him about his past, but wooyoung just knew, because everyone had a touch patch in their life they never want to talk about.

seonghwa sniffed and sighed, "yeah, yeah, i'm good. anyways, i, um, i'll just send you the contacts and stuff and, uh-"

"hyung." wooyoung interrupted. seonghwa stopped to listen to what wooyoung has to say.

wooyoung smiled softly as if he could see the older now, "you know i'm always here to talk if you need to, right? you don't have to keep it all inside you if you don't feel like it."

seonghwa chuckled lifelessly, "and when have i ever done that?"

"exactly, hyung. just- just open up sometimes, yeah? it makes you feel a lot better. trust me." wooyoung replied in the softest tone he could muster.

seonghwa nodded and smiled lightly. they couldn't see each other, but they knew the other was smiling at them. they just do, "yeah. maybe when you get back to busan i will. i won't bother you for much longer. i'll send you the contacts and the addresses and then you go off and make some money, yeah? remember to send some to your old man aka me!"

wooyoung chuckled, glad that the normal, playful seonghwa was back, "whatever. miss you, hyung!"

seonghwa made a gagging sound on the other side which made wooyoung laugh even harder. seonghwa grinned at the joyous sound and for the first time ever since he lost hongjoong, he felt like there was hope. that he could be happy again. all because he has this little ball of sunshine just there for him whenever, wherever.

"miss you too, woo."