Chapter 1, Part II

Chapter 1: Down the Rabbit Hole, Part II (Daily Life)

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

Monokuma: Morning, sleepyheads! It's 7 am, time to rise and shine! Hope you had a nice little slumber in your snazzy rooms! God, I hate saying that word...

I disregarded everything else he had to say as I went through the other door in my dorm room. It led to a small bathroom, with white tiles, a shower, a toilet, and a sink complete with a mirror. After I had brushed my teeth, changed back into my regular outfit and left the dorm, I was feeling peckish, so I went to have breakfast. In my ordinary life, before any of this, I would have had toast with jam, and mind you, I was thinking about continuing to have it. None of us had a map to the place, so I had to memorise my way to the mess hall.

Most of my fellow students were sitting at the tables, eating their own breakfasts. Ayane, for instance, was having some traditional natto on rice, while Souta was helping himself to milk and cereal. A few others appeared to have already finished; Daigo and Ren were having an idle conversation, and Kaiji was standing off to the side, talking with Monokuma.

Kaiji: ...Sir? It's about the e-Handbooks. Say, someone went into another person's room, and left their e-Handbook behind, then they'll be locked out of their own room, right?

Monokuma: Huh. Never thought about that, to be honest. But still, their fault for not taking care of their e-Handbook! Sucks to be them! Whoever's got it has the responsibility to give it back!

Kaiji: Say, what if that person couldn't, for any reason? Like, if, they were dead?

Monokuma: ...You've got me. Then whoever lost it comes to me, asks for their e-Handbook back, and I'll go retrieve it 'cause I can go anywhere I want! Why? I'm the Headmaster, that's why. I'll only do it 3 times, though. You can probably guess what happens the 4th time you lock yourself out.

Everyone knew it, because we were in earshot. Punishment. Or in other words, death.

Monokuma: Have I cleared everything up for you?

Kaiji: Yes, thank you. Now then... I'll tell everyone else.

Ayane: Good. We want some transparency.

Kaiji: Okay, then... Concerning the dorm rooms and the e-Handbooks, the only way into a student's dorm room is to scan their e-Handbook into their scanner. There's a similar scanner in the inside of the room as well, and again, only that particular student's e-Handbook will open the door.

Daigo: So basically, you need your e-Handbook to get in and out of your room?

Mugen: From what I can tell, yes.

Yukiharu: Geez, thanks a lot for clearing that up. Always kept bothering me...

Kaiji: Your pleasure.

Ayane: Has everyone finished eating now?

Madoka: Yeah, duh.

Ayane: Good. I have something to say.

Luka: And what is it, Ms. Mitsurugi?

Umiko: I'd like to know too...

Ayane: Monokuma wants us to play his game. I'll remind you all that shortly before we are to have lunch, at 11:45 to be specific, Monokuma expects us to gather at the gymnasium once again. There, he will introduce his first "motive for murder", in his own words.

Drat. I really should have listened closely to that morning announcement.

Kaori: Okay, then...

Ayane: But rest assured, I'll make sure that nobody even thinks about accepting whatever deals he offers. They are deals with the devil, and I will be the one to collect them. Have I made myself clear?