Chapter 1, Part V

Chapter 1: Down the Rabbit Hole, Part V (Class Trial)

----

With a loud crashing sound, the elevator stopped dead. The doors then opened up, beckoning us into a large room. We walked out of the elevator and was greeted with a fairly grand sight: blue walls, gold columns, red curtains, a black and white checkered floor with a crimson carpet, and a pair of massive doors in the distance.

There were no less than sixteen podiums arranged in a circle in the room. A portrait of Mugen, bordered by black funeral ribbons, was already placed on a stand behind one of those podiums. Between two of the unoccupied podiums was a small throne: Monokuma was sitting on it, having most likely been waiting for us throughout our elevator ride.

Monokuma raised his hand, gesturing us to come over and stand behind the podiums. I did as I was implicitly told, went over to one of the podiums, and took my position behind it. With minimal protest, the others walked to podiums of their own. Nobody dared to move Mugen's portrait. After everyone had chose their spots, all was silent. Then Monokuma, with his smarmy voice, introduced us to the Class Trial.

Monokuma: Welcome, one and all, to the courtroom! After every investigation period is over and done with, you are to gather here for the subsequent Class Trial!

Masao: After every investigation?

Monokuma: Yes, says the man who's too much of a coward to use real swords. Anyways, the rules are simple: debate about who's the culprit 'til I get bored and make you vote on who's the culprit. A correct vote is a victory for the "spotless"; the "blackened" gets thrown out like the trash they are and everyone else is free to go!

Yura: ...Out of this hellhole?

Monokuma: Nope! Just back into where you all were before. But an incorrect vote spells T-P-K.

Souta: Excuse me. What does that mean, sir?

Monokuma: Total party kill. Every "spotless" dies, and the "blackened" is free to go! And unlike the previous example, they're free to leave back into the outside world! Regardless of the state it is in! Global war, global recession, practically any global crisis, all that matters is that the culprit walks out with the blood of their classmates on their hands, and more importantly with their life. Capiche, everyone?

Ayane: ...You are no ordinary judge.

Monokuma: Sure I am not! What's your point?

Ayane: I wouldn't dare to call you a judge.

Monokuma: Oh, you being cocky, huh? You think you're above me?!

Yukiharu: Sooner or later, we're gonna be above you!

Monokuma: Keep in mind that here, I am judge, jury and executioner, so shut up! Now, let this most wonderous Class Trial... begin!

Kaori: (This Class Trial... starts now...)

----

(Non-Stop Debate)

Ayane: Mugen is dead. There is no denying that.

Ren: And there was a blatant wound on his head.

Luka: There was blood all over his forehead...

Daigo: So, being hit on the head was what killed him?

Yukiharu: Are we even going to try and find out who stabbed him to death?

TRUTH NEEDLE: Monokuma File #1

Kaori: No, that's wrong!

BREAK!