Chapter 4, Part I

Chapter 4: Out of the Frying Pan, Part I (Daily Life)

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

Every time I had to hear those blasted chimes, I died a little more inside. And Monokuma just rubbed salt into the wounds.

Monokuma: Ring-ring! Hello! In regards to the latest tragedy that has occurred on school grounds, a new floor has been opened up for you to explore! I would sincerely appreciate it if you went up and had a look around, 'cuz I really don't want my hard work and effort to be completely wasted!

Not one. Not even two. Three of us died yesterday. Monokuma's condolences were insincere at best, and truth be told, he seemed more interested in another floor being opened up than the fact that Masao, Kozue and Luka were now dead.

Yes, Masao sacrificed his life for nothing. Yes, Kozue unwittingly let her own killer in. Yes, Luka was the Kuchisake-onna. And even then, this wretched place felt a bit more quieter without them.

I got ready for the day, of course, and then headed over to the mess hall which everybody was already at. Even Madoka, of all people.

----

Madoka: So, what's took you so long?

Kaori: I... I saw something last night-

Kaiji: You didn't see anything.

Kaori: But Monokuma was there!

Kaiji: Sleepwalking leads to some really weird stuff.

Ayane: For your consideration, I once had to prosecute a man who said he committed murder while sleepwalking.

Umiko: Wh-what?! H-How is that even... possible?!

Hirou: Mind you, even I can't figure this one out...

Kaiji: Yeah. We're all worthless here. Even me.

Daigo: No, we're not! Even with all the death and destruction that Monokuma has left in his wake, there's still a chance for us to unite together and stop this from going on any longer!

Ayane: Really?

Daigo: C'mon, follow me! Everyone!

He then ran off, with us predictably following him to the third floor, and more specifically the phone booth. Surprisingly, Madoka tagged along as well - if only out of simple self-preservation. But when we got there...

It was gone without a trace. Monokuma was standing exactly where it used to be, and it looked like he had something to say.

Daigo: What the-?!

Souta: I swear it was there yesterday!

Yukiharu: Goddamnit!

Monokuma: Too late now! Now nobody's going to hear you scream! You had your chance, now you lost it!

Yukiharu: You never gave us a chance in the first place!

Monokuma: Ah, you've got me there, Yukiharu. You might want to think twice about taking pointless risks! Just ask Masao Mifune! Oh wait, you can't! Why? Because he's... well, you know, dead as a doornail!

Yukiharu: ...!

Umiko: Why...? Why, why, why...

Kaiji: This is what he wants.

Daigo: And we shouldn't let him!

Madoka: Geez, thanks a lot, you-

Daigo: I know what you're going to say.