Chapter 5, Part III

Chapter 5: Where Angels Fear to Tread, Part III (Daily Life)

----

Madoka: Like what?

Kaiji: We found Ayane stuffed into a locker with a bomb nearby. Had it gone off, she could have been killed. In fact, I could have been killed defusing it.

Madoka: (rolling eyes) Well, that would have been your problem.

Kaiji: You nearly killed Ayane. Why?

Madoka: ...Damn. I didn't know what I was thinking-

Kaiji: Yes, you sure did. Why did you try killing her?

Madoka: It wasn't me, it was the apple-

Kaiji: Liar.

Madoka: I swear, the apple made me do it! Look, I'll even show you!

Kaiji: Lead us there then.

Madoka: (sigh) I will! Give me a break!

As she promised, surprisingly with no strings attached Madoka directed both me and Kaiji to the Garden of Eden. Indeed, when we looked at the apple tree, one of the fruits was now missing.

Madoka: See? For once I'm telling the truth!

Kaiji: ...You lie so much nobody believes you when you tell the truth.

Kaori: Like a boy who cried wolf.

Madoka: Ugh! Can you give me a moment to explain myself?!

Kaori: Just let her talk.

Kaiji: Fine! So Madoka... what's your story?

Madoka: Right... I ate one of the apples, and noticed some strange substance in it. I think it was some sort of drug or something? Anyways, afterwards, I felt an... urge. Violent thoughts, a desire to kill someone as cruelly as I could. I must have built that bomb while under its effects... And Ayane just so happened to be caught in the crossfire.

Kaiji: Those are the side effects? Then tell us what you do know.

Kaori: (So, let me recap: Madoka tried making a bomb with no prior expertise, without any instructions, and while high on drugs. No wonder it failed to detonate.)

The commotion must have been overheard, as I turned around to notice that everyone else had arrived at the scene to listen to what Madoka had to say. Ayane, Daigo, Umiko, Souta. Even Monokuma, that damned bear, turned up.

Madoka: What have I learned from my ill-fated attempt to uncover the truth behind that tree?

Umiko: Umm...

Madoka: This "Nautilus" facility we are in is directly at the bottom of the Mariana Trench!

Umiko: Yo-you must be joking!

Souta: Huh?

Madoka: Tsk tsk tsk, this is the truth.

Daigo: So you're telling me... that we're all going to die at the bottom of the ocean?! Without anybody else knowing?

Monokuma: Mmm-hmm! I'm answering for her because I already know what those apples do! Crazy shit!

Daigo: You and your mastermind placed us here, and for what?!

Monokuma: Despair, obviously!

Daigo didn't take kindly to Monokuma's reply, as he suddenly pulled out a pocketknife - the same one Yukiharu had on his person before his death - and pointed it towards the bear.

Daigo: I know I can't bring myself to kill my allies... and if killing you is the only way we can get out of here, then I'll be glad to stain my hands.

Monokuma: You know what will happen next. Go ahead and see where that gets you!