Chapter 5, Part V

Chapter 5: Where Angels Fear to Tread, Part V (Class Trial)

----

Again, the elevator landed. Again, the doors opened. And again, we entered the courtroom. The curtains and carpet were a regal purple, flanked by gold columns akin to the colour of Monokuma's throne. The floor and walls, on the other hand, were a solemn black, as if it was prepared for a funeral. Considering that this Class Trial would inevitably end with at least one more of our own dying, I paid no attention to it.

Two more death portraits had been set up where Yukiharu and Madoka used to stand. Everyone else took their positions: Daigo, Ayane, Souta, Umiko, Kaiji, and last, but not least, me. Once all of us had settled, Monokuma then sat down on his throne, to oversee the upcoming life-or-death debate. My eyes darted all around the courtroom, and I came to a horrifying realisation.

More than half of the podiums were now occupied by portraits. More than half of us were now dead.

Umiko: I feel sick...

Kaori: (sigh) All of us are...

Souta: My, my. What a shame, indeed.

Daigo: I thought we were better than this! I thought we'd learn sooner or later-

Monokuma: And I guess I'm doing a really good job at teaching you kids how to murder! Ren tried it, but flunked out. Then Yura, then Luka, then Yukiharu, ugh, and now which one of ya bastards killed Madoka!

Ayane: You disgust me.

Monokuma: I consider that a rousing success! Just like this Killing Game, of course. A pity I will soon have to say goodbye to all of you, for all good things must come to an end - brings a tear to my eye.

Daigo: This has gone on for far enough.

Monokuma: Ehh...?

Daigo: Your game has gone on for far too long! Even if I die... we die right here, then they'll learn about what you've done. What you've done to us! And oh boy... there'll be hell to pay. We'll become heroes - heroes who stood up to you and died for our beliefs.

Monokuma: So, you wanna be an outright martyr? I've already made sure your disappearances have been explained. By the way, thanks for the corny speech, self-proclaimed hero! I didn't listen to a single word!

Ayane: ...Enough said.

Monokuma: Well, without further to do, let's get right into introductions! So, Madoka has been swindled out of her life. You, so-called "the smartest guys in the room", have to find out just who made sure Madoka's latest con would be her last one ever! If you do, their head will roll. If you don't, your heads will roll. Capiche?

Of course, Madoka's death was a tragedy, despite how she was in life. Monokuma was not helping matters by speaking ill of the dead. But what if I called him out? Would I end up getting spears shoved through me? That was enough to prevent me from objecting, and so I resigned myself to replying:

Kaori: I do, sir.

Kaiji: I understand. (sigh) We don't need these introductions anymore.

Monokuma: Why's that?

Kaiji: Do you honestly believe we're akin to goldfish?!

Monokuma: Well, we are surrounded by gallons upon gallons of water, so there!

Kaiji: Way to add salt in the wound. Congratulations.

Umiko: Uh... uh...

Daigo: What's wrong?