Chapter 6, Part VI

Chapter 6: Remember, You Will Die, Part VI (Class Trial)

----

The wheel spun. It landed on his face. The confetti dropped and the jingle played. But there was nothing to celebrate.

It was over now.

Naoya Edogawa, the mastermind, was at our mercy - at his mercy, to be correct. And he now had no intention of making it out of here with his very own life.

Naoya: Kaori... In the end, you were the better one...

Kaori: What? After all that resentment festering within you, you acknowledge it? I'm just a mere weaver, not some crime-solving genius-

Naoya: We're all just mere men. We could have easily become gods among men, but...

Umiko: But what?

Naoya: The world didn't let us. You four... you moved on. You made the most of such an unfortunate circumstance. But I... I just spiraled down into a path of ultimate self-destruction...

Daigo: That means nothing! What you did to Ryoko... you're killing her!

Ryoko: ...

One glance at her was enough to tell that unless we acted now, and even if we did act, she didn't have much time left. Her skin was pale, her eyes were beginning to become clouded, her breathing was hoarse and raspy.

Naoya: I'm sorry.

Daigo: Really?

Naoya: Yes. I was blind and now I can see. I've done so much wrong - allow me to do one last thing right.

Souta: What are you thinking...?

Naoya: Consider this... my last mercy.

He had reached into his pocket and took out a small vial, containing a glowing gold liquid substance. He weakly held his hand out to Daigo as if he was offering him the vial - and the salaryman reluctantly took it.

Daigo: What is this?

Naoya: The antidote. If you're lucky, she'll live. Probably won't remember anything about this though. In fact, she'll probably never remember anything aside from her own name-

Daigo: And you consider that mercy?

Naoya: Think about it, Daigo. After everything I did to her, I'm offering Ryoko a chance to live. To live as close to a normal life as she can. And in all honesty, it's for the best.

Daigo: ...I get you now. I understand.

Daigo then walked over to the red-haired girl, almost unresponsive, opened up the vial, and gently poured the antidote down Ryoko's throat. Within seconds, she seemed to be aware of her surroundings once more, and able to stammer out a few words.

Ryoko: Ah... thanks... I-I guess.

Daigo: Well, now... He's giving you a chance to survive.

Ryoko: Really? Oh. I understand.

Souta: Yes. Now, we probably have to get out of here, considering that-

I noticed that several drops of water were starting to trickle down from the ceiling, falling down the walls, and settling on the floor. We didn't have much time left before it would begin in earnest.

You know, the flooding of the Nautilus, and of the victims of the Killing Game.

Naoya: Guess it's the end for me. But not you. Not you-

Umiko: What do you mean by that?!

Naoya: You can take my intended secret passage out. I don't need it.