Chapter 2, Part III

Chapter 2: She who Sups with the Devil, Part III (Daily Life)

----

When I got to the mess hall, I discovered an awful sight. Everyone was staring like a deer in the headlights towards Haruhi, who was most likely coughing her guts out. Bloodstained rose petals were strewn around the floor. I just couldn't help but feel sorry for her - and of course most others were concerned for her wellbeing. They didn't want another death on campus, even if Monokuma wanted it.

Umiko: Oh, no no no no no...

Hirou: Something's not right with her.

Kozue: Yeah. She looks so pale and sickly now.

Masao: ...Like she's dying.

Daigo: Is... is there anything we can do about this?!

Haruhi: (cough) No. (cough cough cough) There's nothing you can do.

Of course, there were some people who disregarded the gravitas of the situation.

Madoka: Uh, why are you so bothered about her cough? We all know she has it, so why is it such a big deal?

Kaiji: It's not a game, Madoka. That cough's getting worse every hour, and I'm worried that-

Madoka: She's going to die? If she dies, she dies. End of story.

Umiko: (sob) I'll still miss her...

Souta: Hmm... She's not long for this world, from the looks of it.

Hirou: I wouldn't be so flippant about the possibility of someone dying, if I was you.

Luka: Look, you made poor little Umiko cry!

Souta: My apologies, then. Kuhuhu~

Yukiharu: What the hell is going on?

Hirou: She's sick. And she's most likely dying. Maybe because of something to do with her medication? That's my theory.

Yukiharu: And just why did she go cold... tack... ticky... what'cha call it again?

Luka: Cold turkey, that's what you call it.

Haruhi: Outside- (cough cough cough) There was a boy... (cough) Who... didn't judge me by what I said...

Yura: And what does that have to do with the death flags you're hoisting up?

Haruhi: (cough cough) I think... he's forgotten about me now. (cough) He bought my flowers, without even thinking about who I was. (cough)

Yura: Listen, Haruhi. I don't care about your sob story. Go die somewhere else, please.

Kozue: Hey! Isn't that a little, y'know, insensitive? She's sick.

Yura: Shut your mouth, you.

Haruhi: That was what- (cough cough) -I was planning. Maybe a rest in the garden will help- (cough cough cough)

In the midst of her coughing up even more rose petals out of her mouth, Haruhi stumbled her way out. We were all shaken by what had just transpired before us, but Ayane was quick to try and maintain some order.

Ayane: Listen. She wants to go to the garden to spend some time in peace.

Yura: So?

Ayane: Respect her wishes and give her privacy. That's what I would do.

Daigo: But Ayane, we've gotta help her! She's gravelly ill, on the verge of death!

Ayane: And if she wants to die with what she regards as dignity, then so be it.