Chapter 2, Part IV

Chapter 2: She who Sups with the Devil, Part IV (Deadly Life)

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

Monokuma: A body has been discovered! After a certain amount of time, which you may use however you like, the Class Trial will begin!

Madoka: (sigh) Look. It was always going to end like this.

Luka: Wh-why?

Madoka: She had a disease, which I presume to have been terminal without treatment, and trapped in a Mutual Killing Game without any access to additional medication.

Souta: So...?

Madoka: She was a dead girl walking. End of story.

Yukiharu: What the hell are you talking about?! She's fucking dead!

Madoka: I know. It was inevitable.

Daigo: I... I think I need a moment...

Umiko: Ah... no way... She can't be... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

She promptly ran off towards the garden's bushes, screaming her head off, and disappeared into them. Meanwhile, he turned around and walked away from us all, intending on spending some time alone to think things over.

And to make matters worse, as soon as both of them had made their leave, who else would show up but Monokuma himself, in the flesh... or the closest equivalent to it, in his case.

Monokuma: Yet another life untimely cut short! That's what I expect to see from you all! Clearly, you're not disappointing me! Upupupu~

His words disgusted me beyond belief. Mugen was dead. Ren was dead too. Now Haruhi was dead as well. And he was laughing at it.

Ayane: Listen, I know this is feeding into whatever he has planned-

Yukiharu: So why not just rebury her, walk away, and forget about all of this?

Ayane: Are you insane? Monokuma has just told us that we need to hold a Class Trial.

Monokuma: Yes, I did. All of you are expected to attend on pain of further death. So there!

Masao: ...

Yukiharu: So what?

Ayane: (sigh) We must find out the truth behind all of this.

Madoka: Well, in that case, me and Kaori offer our services. Yes, I may have been a bit... careless last time, but I promise - I'll help you all out the best I can. Got that?

Ayane: ...Hirou?

Hirou: ...Give her the benefit of the doubt. She clearly looks like she knows a thing or two.

Kozue: That's totally right! If we don't listen to what they have to say, then... we're all gonna die!

Luka: And that'll be no good at all!

Ayane: Okay then. If you insist.

Madoka: Good. Kaori, let's get down to business, shall we?

Monokuma: Yes. Yes, you should.

And here we were, now having to bear the burden of finding out who killed Haruhi.

----

(Investigation: Garden)

Of course, this garden was now an apparent crime scene. Haruhi's body was still in the shallow grave, and we were still gathered around it like a pack of vultures circling their prey. Monokuma, of course, was egging us on to investigate.