Chapter 6, Part II

Chapter 6: Remember, You Will Die, Part II (Deadly Life)

----

(Investigation: Monokuma Control Room)

It led to a dark, badly-lit, cramped room full of gadgets and gizmos. A desk with numerous files had four monitors on all at once. Envelopes were scattered around a desk. And there were a controller with an almost endless amount of buttons - coloured in Monokuma's trademark control scheme.

Kaiji went up to those controls and tinkered with them; and seconds later Monokuma had stormed through the doorway and was right behind us. But he didn't say anything. Nothing at all. He just... stood still.

Kaiji: Well, isn't it obvious what this is?

Kaori: No?

Kaiji: That's the mastermind's hideout! Where they was controlling Monokuma all this time!

Kaori: But then why was he active, while everyone was still alive and in a position where they had no access to the controls-

Kaiji: The auto-pilot seems to have been activated.

Kaori: (But then... if this is the mastermind's room... then why did only Ryoko's e-Handbook work to the entrance?)

Ryoko's e-Handbook has been added to the Truth Needles.

Souta: Ah! Kaori! Kaiji! Look!

Kaori: Hmm?

Souta: The file cabinet! I bet there's tons of valuable information in there!

Kaori: Of course there may be.

Kaiji: (under his breath) Emphasis on "may".

Of course, I just had to open it up and see what was inside it. And much like the black bag which Kaiji was attempting to burn before we got here, it was like a treasure trove. The first thing.

Souta: Let me see, let me see!

Kaori: This is important... Mr. and Mrs. Edogawa had kids. Not a kid, kids.

Souta: Their names?

Kaori: Naoya and Arisu. Arisu was born first, but she appears to have died at some point. Naoya is, as far as we know, still alive.

Souta: I see. Relevant, by the way?

Kaori: Perhaps.

Edogawa Family Tree has been added to the Truth Needles.

It also contained a personal copy of a well-known novel; "Alice in Wonderland", to be more precise. While flipping through the pages, I noticed a note hidden between them. Of course, it was subject to my scrutiny.

Kaiji: What are you doing-

Kaori: Investigating, Kaiji. This appears to have been written to Naoya by... Arisu, as the signature suggests. Rather heartfelt, says that she understood that Naoya may feel resentful, but that she had hope for him-

Kaiji: Don't continue it further.

Kaori: Why?

Kaiji: Because... because... we really don't want it read out right now and wasting valuable time.

Note to Naoya has been added to the Truth Needles.

Kaori: Too late, I found something else.

Kaiji: What?

Kaori: A memoir from Mr. Edogawa. Let me read an extract: "It has been years since my only daughter was slain, and my only son still doesn't appear to be getting any better. In fact, I'm afraid he's falling in with the wrong crowd. What has become of my son, who wanted to follow in her footsteps and make her proud in her name?"